For the women: Clothes shopping right before the memorial

by catchthis 18 Replies latest jw friends

• catchthis
    catchthis

I have noticed now and in the past that most, if not all sisters, go clothes shopping right before the memorial. They make it out to be this HUGE deal. Almost to the point where if they do not get that new dress from Nordstroms, they won't be able to be seen at the memorial. I've never encountered this sort of mentality with the brothers. But the sisters stress themselves out trying to figure out what they are going to buy.

Us guys just throw on a suit and go like it's any other night. We might wear that special YHWH tie tack that we keep in the drawer for special occasions, but that's about it. Maybe one of those specially folded hankys that match your tie in the breast pocket too.

So please explain ladies. WHY? Why do most sisters consider it a mortal sin to wear that new dress to ANY meeting right before the memorial? Why is it that the new dress can only be worn the FIRST TIME to the memorial and then be relegated into the rotating wardrobe later? What's the big deal? It's not a wedding dress. And the occasion is certainly not very lengthy.

• teela(2)
    teela(2)

What else can we look forward? No big night out clubbing, no out with friends to dinner then on to a show. No just going out and picking up loose men?

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I just made sure I did not look like a Major Slut...just a Minor one!

Brooke

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

My mom used to do this in relation to the memorial and the assemblies. It was the only time she really took me shopping for dresses. All the other sisters in the hall did the same. I am not sure why, but I would figure that with tight finances there had to be a good excuse to indulge yourself and add to the wardrobe with out appearing to vain and materialistic.

Dragonlady76

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

We only got new clothes a few times a year.

Memorial, summer assemblies, and beginning of the school year.

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

I always got a new frilly dress when I was little...It kinda reminded me of Easter.

Do you know how hard it was in some years to even find a dress when they weren't in style? And then, it had to be modest, not flashy, etc. Sometimes it took 3 days of shopping just to find something acceptable!

• Gordy
    Gordy

Not just the women.

The whole family got a "make-over" new clothes for the children, new hairdo for the girls etc.

Lets face it it was the only time in the year which gave JW's an excuse to get dressed up in new stuff.

• love11
    love11

For me, it made the memorial less tedious. I know it's crazy, but I actually thought that if Jehovah or the angel of death came back to earth that night to begin Armageddon then they would see what a good jw girl looked like.

I wanted to try that cracker and wine SOooo bad!

• MissMelly
    MissMelly

I always balked at how the young women acted. I would notice that the assemblies were like a mating call! The young girls were wearing spaghetti straps and above the knee outfits (even some of the more "prominent" families daughters!) and flirting with all the boys, like they were in high school. It was all such a joke to me. I got counseled on wearing an ankle-length skirt that had a slit up to the knee one time, and that was very tame compared to what the prominent and highly regarded girls were wearing!I just never got it. Don't think I ever will.

• Scully
    Scully

It's probably a subtle throw-over from the Catholic "tradition" of ladies needing a new hat and dress for Easter Sunday church services. From what I understand from Catholic friends, Easter is the most popular time for children to have their First Communion, so everyone feels the need to celebrate and dress up as they might for a wedding.

(gawd it pisses the JWs off when I tell them that!! )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit