Need a little advice on calorie counting and weight loss

by Leander 20 Replies latest social physical

• Leander
    Leander

I just started working out again over the last month after a layoff of about 10 years. When I was a regular at the gym back then I weighed about 190-200 and I maintained a body fat percentage of 5-7%, I think the weight lifting and constant cardio really helped to keep me lean. Anyway fast forward to 10 years in the future, I've put on about 80 pounds and who knows what my body fat percentage is I'm too chicken to find out. At any rate I determined that I would do what it takes to get back in shape and I've started lifting weights and doing cardio again. My goal is to get down to about 200-220 within the next 3-4 months.

So my questions are how can I find out how many calories a 280 pound guy burns off just doing everyday activities?

How do I determine how many calories I need to take in to maintain the muscle I have but still burn off fat?

How many calories will a pound of muscle burn off?

For the people who use HIIT (high intensity interval training) is it more effective than long sessions of moderate cardio for burning off fat?

Finally where can I go to find recipe and meal ideas (along with their calorie content)?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. hopefully in a few months I can post a few pictures of a new and improved me

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Leander,

Before you do anything else you MUST get hold of a copy of The Schwarzbein Principle by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein, MD. It'll blow you away as Dr. Schwarzbein turns diet and calories completely on their heads. I'm actually enjoying my food again thanks to this lady who went against the establishment with PROOF - she cured her patients! The book is available on Amazon (my wife is now also following her regimen and feeling all the better for it).

Ian

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

hey Leander - this link means you just type in your weight and activity and then it will tell you how long you need to do it to burn off a certain amount.

• Leander
    Leander

thanks for the book advice Dansk, I will check that out right now. It just so happens I had planned on putting an order in to Amazon today anyway, I may have to add another one now.

• Leander
    Leander

Looks like a good link, I'll bookmark it for later. Maybe this will help me to see my ab muscles again.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Best wishes to you, Leander!

Dansk, thank you for the book recommendation.

• marcosgarcia
    marcosgarcia

Hey you need to see a doc first and make sure an exercise program is okay!

A lot has changed in our body over 20 years. I am guessing you might be 40ish? Heavy weight lifting is not good for people with hight blood pressure. I lost 25+ lbs 2 years ago. I went from well over 200 to 172. Now I am back up to 180 and I feel great. I do cardio and weights. My strategy was to do the cardio and lose weight first then build the muscle. Diet is at least, if not more than 50% of the strategy. You can work out all day, but if you "chow at the trough" like a swine, you won't get anywhere. I went to see a nutrionist, we went over my goals and I was given some great tips on what to eat, when to eat it (often but with small portions) , and how much I should have -- it cannot be too restrictive or you won't stick to it same thing with the workouts they need to be convenient. Everyone is different so it has to be a program that fits you and your life style. I went vagon for a while, but I started to look sickly so I eat a bit of chicken and meat. Don't forget vitamin B complex that baby makes you feel great!

Have fun and Good luck. Take some before pictures now so you can compare. But do see a Doc first as a precaution.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

One of the best things you can do is to start eating 6-7 tiny meals a day and drink plenty of water. At first you will find you are pissing alot but your body will adjust and you will thirst for it. Try to cut out bread and starchy foods.. I'm a certified personal trainer and if you want some more diet advice you can just PM me.

GBL

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Yes! See your doc.

I agree with drinking lot's of water. this will help the muscles function better, and the body to get rid of waste.

If you are having a tough time getting all your water in, try drinking a full glass every time you brush your teeth, every time you take meds, whenever you have a headache, or are hungry. Often times thirst displays itself as hunger.

Try Selzer Water (not club soda it uses sodium) as it is high in CO2 which will help your muscles function better and help the exchange of oxygen and electrolytes in the muscles and blood. (I like Talking Rain brand flavored selzer waters.... no fake colors, sweeteners or anything else.)

I'm a big weightwatchers fan. They have a good, balanced program.

I am against anything artificial. Meat grilled or broiled, small starch- bread, potatoes, or rice, and lots of lighly steamed and fresh veggies with oil and vinegar, or just a dash of flavored vinegar. Real butter and Real Cheese in small quantities. Flaverful bread like Sourdough doesnt require butter!. Mayo can be cut with non-fat yogert and still taste good. Real sugar in limited controlled quantities....meaning you add the sugar yourself. I don't have high BP, so I use seasalt which has other minerals in it.

If you have cut out all fat - make sure you use at least a teaspoon of Olive Oil in your diet. Your body needs some oils to function. Olive oil is excellent source of nutrician.

Hugs and luck

Bren

• trevor
    trevor

Leander

No one ever lost weight counting calories. You will know when you are getting it right without weight checks or calorie counting.

Eat less than you need - exercise more than you want.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit