Disparaging Terms

by Blueblades 20 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

ozzie,

tee hee, that's so true,,, and

'I am rubber, you are glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you!'

My friends say that if I returned to the KH, that would be the real vomit! hahahahaha

t

• blondie
    blondie

Scully,

So it would be unscriptural for us to use disparaging terms when referring to ones who do not share our beliefs.

so-called Christians

*** w97 3/15 p. 27 Should Your Child Go to a Boarding School? ***

In some boarding schools, Witness students manage to study the Bible together, but even this is often difficult. A youth named Blessing, who is 16, says this about the boarding school she attends: "Every day the so-called Christians come out to pray.

w92 6/15 p. 4 Is There a Way Out Of Man?s Sinful State? ***
    However, many of the 3,500,000,000 non-Christians of the world (twice the number of so-called Christians) find the idea of a ransom very difficult to grasp.
  • Scully
    Scully

Thanks, Blondie.

Even when they claim not to do something, they'll find a way to do it.

I'm sure they mean "so-called Christians" in the nicest possible way.

Love, Scully

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

How about the 'common' terms used daily in dubland?

Worldly - pagan - Babylonish - materialist - demonized - ungodly - false worship[ers] - under the worlds influence -

even terms that would be thought of outside the org as positive, take on negative connotations

Churchgoer - religious - priest - rabbi - religious-leaders

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Being called a "dog that has returned to his vomit" makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Walter

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    A superior attitude will not attract others to Jehovah?s worship. Rather, when we view and treat others in line with the reasonable principles of Jehovah?s Word, we "adorn the teaching" of God.?Titus 2:10.

Ummm........Now WHO has that "superior attitude" that the bible talks about! The WTS seems to be THE most guilty of this than any other religion I can think of!

Look at the claims;

that THEY are God's chosen,

that only THEY have direct connections from him,

that THEY will be the only ones to survive the "End",

and if you leave it prior TO the "End"----you are seen as dead by both God and themselves.......

Any religion that even *thinks* these things are true, and teach it to their members, are NOT "adorning the teachings of God" in any possible way.

Annie

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I hated the "Unbeliver"!

That was Bull Fu**ing Sh*t! I was raised in it all my life. I was told to study and go out in service to be able to get baptized. Then I was called an "Unbeliever" because I was not baptized. I mean my god how can they tell you to Preach this but you are told you don't believe it? I dose not makes sense! Nothing there makes sense!

Brooke

• rebel8
    rebel8

Thanks for posting that. I'll be using it often.

My current response is a good one too...ask them what their scriptural based authority is for having the ability to judge others--to determine if someone is an apostate or not, when the Bible says only God can judge.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

One of my earliest impressions of them is that they are very much into labels for everything whether disparaging or not. This is also a control mechanism to get people to think a certain way about persons and things. I saw through it early on but kept my feelings to myself. I never needed to be called "Pioneer" and have people clap! I always thought this was childish - like we were in first grade again! As far as the word "apostate" goes, I was technically an apostate when I left Catholicism. This word has no power over me. Other religions use it too.

LHG

• Slick Willie
    Slick Willie

Just 2 days after being baptized at the 1975 DC, during the Sunday public talk the speaker referred to the Catholic clergy as "pigs", a kind of 'don't throw your pearls before swine' statement. I don't recall the exact phrase he used, but it was highly insulting to Catholics. This was the talk that everyone invited nonJW family to, as well as Bible studies and 'interested ones'. You should have seen the people streaming out of the Bayfront Center after that comment!

I had a sort of sick feeling and thought to myself 'Hmmm....maybe I've made a mistake here. This is Christian love?'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit