What is the bible for?

by Smoky 25 Replies latest jw friends

• JW83
    JW83

Hmm, I've found it helpful to completely reject the Bible as God's word - I think only then can you step back and appreciate the minute quality of good in the Bible which keeps most Christians beholden to the 99% of bad.

• poppers
    poppers

When I was in the military many years ago I developed a ganglia on the back of my left hand. My doctor told me I had two options: the first was to have it surgically removed. The second was to place my hand flat on a table while he slammed a bible down on my hand to flatten the ganglia out. I chose surgery. I have yet to find use for the bible.

• love11
    love11

In my opinion, the bible is a book rules and stories from a middle eastern viewpoint. Some people need these rules and need to be accountable to a "higher power" (imagined or not) or bad things could happen with no accountability. For some people that is the only thing holding them back from murdering, raping, stealing, going crazy, etc;. Like they say- religion is the opium of the masses.

On the flip side, the bible can cause more division, hatred, or sexual perversion by demanding all of the rules be met or else. And as in human nature- you always want what you can't have ( the forbidden fruit).

I feel sorry for the people that make themselves so miserable by being so fanatical about every little word or dot written by some middle easterner in a cave.

Listen to some Bob Marley. Imagine that this is the only life you will ever get. Start living.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I'm starting to have doubts (again). Firstly, I cannot accept that much of the Bible was meant as literally as some would argue. As others have mentioned, the Bible is just a small sample of Scriptures. Who decided what should be in/out of both Old & New Testaments? The New Testament was compiled in the late 4th century, but what if the men who decided what was in/out were poor judges or not inspired by God? What did these men believe and how did they act? Why is the Bible apparently so contradictory and why does this lead to so much division amongst those who accept it as the inspired word of God? Has more harm or good been done because of the existnce of the Bible, the Koran etc etc? Sometimes it just seems to be meant to tie well-intentioned people up in knots trying to work out the correct version of "the truth". I'm glad I don't believe as any other human in my quest to understand the meaning of life, although its nice to share viewpoints on some things.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

The bible is a great doorstop! At least those big heavy ones are!

And it is no more wholier holier than my underwear!

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

According to convicts I have known the Bible is great for rolling papers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit