Gas prices & JW Conventions/Field Service

by doinmypart 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

All things are relative, I'm discovering. For the 30 years of hotels, DCs and CAs and trekking everywhere with five kids----I used to wonder HOW people could afford Christmas, etc for their families. I used to be so glad that I "didn't have to worry" about that.

I well know the sinking feeling in my heart when the DCs would be announced in January, and when they would be an overnight trip to get there, I knew that I had five months or so to get all that money up for expenses for the six of us.

I'd scrimp and save and go without (for Jehovah) and have to count on the "new" clothes as the kids got older and more aware of fashion! It was a real struggle.

Now I can see the two events in perspective---shopping for Christmas is FUN, and the getting together is enjoyable. There are so many options as to what to find for the people you love and most often you get many wonderful things (and moments) in return. Not to mention all the foods that people knock themselves out to make. Special stuff.

Then you take the conventions, after cutting everything down to the bone, and getting all the arrangements made---then the Rat Race begins. Up early in the morning, rush to shower and dress (everyone) get to the Arena, scour the joint for seats for your family, keep an eye on the kids when they are messing around, race downstairs to get a crappy lunch, back upstairs to the talks, go through endless traffic, stop for supper, and back to the motel, everyone is crabby and miserable, then we go to bed---and get to do it all over again the next day!

Hey----*I* would MUCH rather have Christmas! I consider it a blessing that I DON'T have to attend the conventions any more!

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit