Gas prices & JW Conventions/Field Service

by doinmypart 10 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

With gas prices forecasted to reach $2.50 in the U.S. do you think this will impact the District Conventions this summer?

• I hope that either fewer will travel to the Conventions,
    • and those that do attend will donate less money to the WTS.

And what about field service? I realize hard-core JWs will continue in the "ministry", but in my area we have a lot of driving territory. Not many are willing to drive, they prefer to stay close to the KH and work shorter periods rather than spend a lot of money filling up their gas tanks.

In other countries where gas prices are higher than U.S. prices perhaps people are used to it, but do you think it has a bearing on JW activity?

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

LOL I should bring that up with my mom.

She is self-employed, and she has stopped taking assignments in certain areas because she says the pay isn't worth the gas money. However, she can be found in the same areas doing field service. (She lives in a rural area) Usually, she drives back and forth to the DC, but she said her and my aunt are staying at a hotel this year.

Is the DC a 3-day or 4-day event this year?

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

Its funny this topic should come up,I was just remembering how as a child ,I would go to providence civic center.It was about 45 minutes from boston,and in general,most people did not have to pay for a hotel.It was alot cheaper on gas as well.Then,all of a sudden,the DC is going to be held in Amherst ,MA.This put a much heavier load on families.It was a 2 1/2 hour drive,way out in the stix.Why?Money.Did the billion dllar corporationj even think of thier faithful "sheep",hell no.I wonder how much they saved to inconvienence thousands of people,then have the balls to tell you wich hotel to stay at.How much 10,000 grand total,how little would they cut your balls off for.I think howm my family could have spent that time and money on a camping trip,amusement park,movie and dinner ,anything except be brainwashed for 4 days in the summer heat!!!!!!!!!!!!1

STP

• blondie
    blondie

Do you think they would walk?

w72 11/1 p. 663 Jehovah Strengthens Those Who Prove Loyal ***

This time we were to go to Lilongwe, which then had one congregation, but there were many interested persons. We knew that the journey from Mangochi was a long one, 177 miles. This did not unduly concern us, however, for the joy of the full-time ministry gave us strength and we arrived there after walking for five days.

w69 7/15 p. 446 From Deathlike State to a New Life ***We have no car and must walk a great deal to accomplish our ministry.

yb82 p. 11 1982 Yearbook of Jehovah?s Witnesses ***

In that same country a small group of ministers who are serving as pioneers walked 25 miles to attend the meetings of the nearest congregation, and then they returned the same distance to their territory to do their ministry among the people.

w92 12/1 p. 22 The Joy That Serving Jehovah Has Brought Me ***

When I rejoined Lucille, she was pioneering in the little town of Wagoner, Oklahoma. We had no car, so we walked everywhere, covering the entire town.

w81 7/15 p. 29 A Prisoner?s Prayer Is Answered ***

In those early years we had no car. We would walk for whole days to find interested persons.

*** km 1/74 p. 4 Presenting the Good News?With a Willingness to Adjust to Circumstances ***

It is not unusual to locate an interested person who can study only at a time when you have no car available or you are unable to get someone to go with you. If it is necessary, would you be willing to take public transportation or even walk to get there?

*** yb02 p. 94 CuraƧao ***

When Petra and Ingrid arrived, they had no car; yet they covered almost the entire island on foot.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I just paid $0.85 per litre for gas today.

But since I'm not going in service? anymore I'm only having to fill up twice a month now instead of every week.

Considering all the donations to the society are supposed to be for the worldwide preaching work? maybe they should be contributing some coin to the publishers? for gas and mileage. I'm sure that the cost of gas is much higher than the cost of the cheapass magazines most people don't want anyway.

Better yet, they should become more environmentally friendly and quit going out in service? altogether.

"Jehovah will bring to ruin those ruining the earth". He should start with the JWs.

Walter

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

Just a point -other charities always pay their ''volunteer's'' expenses.

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie----you're soooo discouraging.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Mamacat - the conventions are three days this year.

STP - Whenever I sit down and budget travel & lodging for the DC I end up thinking about how that money & time could be better spent on a fun get-away trip. At least I'm fortunate enough to be able to take the family on a couple of real vacations throughout the year.

Blondie - Those experiences about JWs walking hundreds of miles to a DC always get me. I guess the Writing Dept. wants to guilt JWs in more affluent areas into doing/giving more. They don't care if the R&F has to pay more for gas. They still expect them to donate to the local branch.

Anyone reading this and still an active JW, you should know that the funds donated at District Conventions are forwarded directly to the Society. Unlike the Circuit Assemblies (where money stays in the circuit, unless the circuit elders send it to Society), the District Convention is nothing more than a BIG FUND RAISING EVENT for the Society!

Walter - You're correct, the gas & wear on vehicles is more expensive than the mags. The WTS knows this, which is why they have transferred this expense from their ledgers onto the publishers. They are nothing but a Publishing Company finding a cheaper way to do business.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Blondie - that is a good point. It might also help them log more hours in service. But the number of witnesses won't increase since they will still be knocking at NH's all day. I really doubt any will do that here in the US. Too lazy. I always wanted to walk the territory for exercise and could never get anyone to do so - no I don't think they will walk much.

Jeff

• JH
    JH

The poorer brothers and sisters are the ones who suffer the most, because they have to please the richer class and follow, even if they don't have the money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit