Circuit Assembly Review: "Be guided by the 'wisdom from above.'

by Spook 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spook
    Spook

I just got back from the circuit assembly. Some interesting perspectives:

1. 9 people out of 2500 got baptised. My calculator is packed away, but that's about .025%. What fine increase! Keep in mind this also included three foreign language congregations, one of which is the only group in the state.

2. The bible was likened to GPS, and had "perfect guidance for every SECOND of life."

3. Young people were told to "Stay in their cage." I kid you not. 2499 out of 2500 people appauded.

4. In a rhetorical aside to defend the harmonization of the synaptic gospels with the late addition of John's text, the district overseer concluded his statement with "evidently, as it is, as it were, so to speak, you see."

5. The worst "new light" was given off-handedly. I quote directly from district overseer Bro. Bartell

On the foundation of faith: "Consider that the spiritual rock-mass on which faith is built is obedience."

6. As a final unusual claim, Bro. Bartell claimed that even perfect people would need to be disciplined through the organization of God." and that the God's counsel now was "the words of the anointed, and also the bible."

I got many new points out of the assembly...points for my campaign of disassociation and reform, that is.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'Day Spook,

How sad that 2500 people gave a weekend to hear things like that as if it were "spiritual food"! Spiritual husks, more like!

As for this:

Consider that the spiritual rock-mass on which faith is built is obedience

What can you expect from a blaspheming, heretical organisation?

points for my campaign of disassociation and reform

Forget the reform, brother! Poop will always be poop no matter which way you look at it.

The so-called Troof cannot be reformed; it would take something far more. Instead look for the truth!

Good luck and God bless.

Ozzie

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    As a final unusual claim, Bro. Bartell claimed that even perfect people would need to be disciplined through the organization of God." and that the God's counsel now was "the words of the anointed, and also the bible."

Are you sh*tn me!!!! That clenches it then, I don wanna live in the dub pair o dice. Perfect people disciplined through *continues in unintelligable mumbling*

• doodle-v
    doodle-v
    Are you sh*tn me!!!! That clenches it then, I don wanna live in the dub pair o dice. Perfect people disciplined through *continues in unintelligable mumbling*

LMAO

pair o dice..... LMAO...good one

-Doodle-V

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Wow, Spook, that is crazy stuff.

3. Young people were told to "Stay in their cage." I kid you not. 2499 out of 2500 people appauded.

Man, I had a good belly-laugh out of that one.

Sounds like the higher-ups are trying desperately to tighten their fisthold. Thanks for the report.

SNG

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Spook! That is so enlightening! Isn't it amazing how the talks, assemblies, mags etc all take on a new interest when 'mentally' you have escaped being a JW and you begin to recognise the poo for what it is. I'd been a JW for nearly 40 years and had never read the Watchtower and Awake, until recently. It's great fun picking out the brainwashing phrases and the total crap that's in there.

Thanks for suffering the assemby for us! Very interesting! Weird about the young ones staying in their cages!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Spook - what exactly did they mean by stay in their cages? Did the speaker elaborate at all?

• blondie
    blondie

1. 9 people out of 2500 got baptised. My calculator is packed away, but that's about .025%. What fine increase! Keep in mind this also included three foreign language congregations, one of which is the only group in the state.

Large group for a circuit assembly; where do you meet?

What was the age and gender breakdown?

2. The bible was likened to GPS, and had "perfect guidance for every SECOND of life."

I understand that the GPS is programmed by a human.... but that makes sense since JWs are following human programming. or is that channeling.

w94 10/1 p. 8 The Bible?A Book Meant to Be Understood ***
    Even as Bible prophecy pointed forward to the Messiah, it also directs us to the close-knit body of anointed Christian Witnesses that now serve as the faithful and discreet slave. It helps us to understand the Word of God. All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah?s channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave.?John 6:68.

That reminds me of the illustration given at the last CA I went to. People were compared to a young elephant chained to a large stake. It could only go as far as the length of the chain. As the elephant got older and stronger and able to pull the stake out of the ground, it still would not go beyond the chain, because it was conditioned to think it couldn't.

There is an old African story that says, "If you take a baby elephant, place a chain around one of its back legs, hook the chain to a stake, and then drive that stake into the ground to restrain the baby elephant until it's big enough to fend for itself. When the caretaker removes both the stake and the chain from the elephant's back leg, the elephant will not venture out beyond the length of the chain that once restrained him. The story goes on to say that the elephant has been conditioned to accept residency in a mental prison given to him by his caretaker."

4. In a rhetorical aside to defend the harmonization of the synaptic gospels with the late addition of John's text, the district overseer concluded his statement with "evidently, as it is, as it were, so to speak, you see."

I wonder how many there knew what the Synoptic Gospels were and why they are called that?

w76 1/1 p. 26 The Beloved John Presents "the Word" ***
    Such external evidence as is available (but not mentioned in this article) indicates that John wrote his Gospel very late in life, about the year 98 C.E., and at or near the city of Ephesus. He no doubt was familiar with the other Gospel accounts written much earlier. This would explain why, by and large, he does not cover the same ground as do the other three (known as the "synoptic" Gospels because they present a like point of view). In fact, 92 percent of John?s material appears in his Gospel alone.

5. The worst "new light" was given off-handedly. I quote directly from district overseer Bro. Bartell

On the foundation of faith: "Consider that the spiritual rock-mass on which faith is built is obedience."

Yes and obedience is the theme of the DC this year...but obedience to whom? The WTS/FDS/GB?

w98 8/15 p. 19 Strengthening Our Confidence in God?s Righteousness ***
    Let us be convinced that obeying Jehovah, following the direction given through his organization and accepting his decisions, is the right thing to do.

w97 11/15 p. 18 Faith Moves Us to Action! ***
    Wisdom from above is "ready to obey," promoting obedience to divine teaching and cooperation with Jehovah?s organization.

w91 9/15 p. 17 "Help Me Out Where I Need Faith!" ***
    During the great tribulation, it will be just as imperative that we follow the leadings of the holy spirit and obey Jehovah?s instructions through his organization.

6. As a final unusual claim, Bro. Bartell claimed that even perfect people would need to be disciplined through the organization of God."

Perhaps he was thinking of this:

*** w92 10/1 p. 27 Learn Obedience by Accepting Discipline ***

Jesus? parents also recognized their responsibility as regards discipline. True, during his prehuman existence, Jesus had always been obedient. But while on earth, he learned to be obedient under entirely new circumstances. For one thing, he had to obey imperfect parents because even a perfect child needs discipline in the form of instruction and education. This his parents provided. Discipline in the form of punishment, on the other hand, was unnecessary. Jesus always obeyed; he never had to be told twice. We read: "Then he went home with them [his parents] to Nazareth and was obedient to them."?Luke 2:51, Phillips.

and that the God's counsel now was "the words of the anointed, and also the bible."

See quotes above...yes, they do think that the words of the "anointed" = Bible.

Thanks for the tidbits.

Love, Blondie

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Oh, really? What part of the Bible should I consult when I'm standing in front of the McDonald's menu, trying to choose between McMeal Deals? And to which verse should I turn when I'm deciding whether I should wear my blue t-shirt, or my grey one today?

Every second - Hah!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Now be fair, Steph, you know that McDonald's pride themselves on their speedy service!

BTW nice to 'see'ya - owyergoinmate?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit