At the meeting... And I have #3 Talk

by cappytan 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Damn...this thread got all serious all of a sudden.

Welcome to the morning after 

WMF - I don't get your reasoning.  It's a cult and doesn't deserve to be treated with dignity.  Turning up drunk for a talk is about the level of respect that is warranted.  Plus, it sounds like cappytan had the same experience I've had - I give way better talks when I'm a couple bourbons deep.

Now I'll agree that there's nothing great about being an alcoholic, but you don't have to be an alcoholic to feel like you need a drink before a cult meeting.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    OneEyedJoe: Welcome to the morning after

You know that expression/lyric, "feeling no pain 'til early morning"?

Yeah, that's me right now. It's early morning, and the pain is here. 

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I understand the individuals disdain for the cult and that once awake there's no real reason to play by their rules, but I think it is selfish to not show some consideration for others there who do take it seriously. Why not just stay home instead? you are going to quit anyway right?

Cappy, it's good you are honest about it and i do understand the jolt received once awakened. One of my brothers was an alcoholic (and still is i guess as he has to abstain) so i have seen what it does to people and those around them.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Why not just stay home instead? you are going to quit anyway right?

I want to fade. It would be too obvious right now, though, if I suddenly stopped attending or started shirking responsibilities. 

I want my wife and kids out with me. 

Anyhow, regarding drinking before meetings, the cult doesn't care that much about it anymore:

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/402014844

Does this passage mean that we must not drink anything alcoholic before going to a Christian meeting? Think about these points: We are not under the Law. (Romans 10:4) In some lands, our fellow believers use alcoholic beverages in moderation at meals before attending meetings. Four cups of wine were used at the Passover. When instituting the Memorial, Jesus had his apostles drink wine that represented his blood. (Matthew 26:27) The Bible condemns heavy drinking and drunkenness. (1 Corinthians 6:10; 1 Timothy 3:8) And because of their conscience, many Christians may not drink any alcohol before worshipping Jehovah. However, circumstances are different from one country to another, and the important thing is for Christians to “distinguish between the holy thing and the profane” so that they can remain holy and please Jehovah.

• Absalom
    Absalom

I haven't read anything that suggests that anyone in his congo knew he was drunk.  He gave a great talk and no one but us is the wiser.  

Quitting isn't that easy for some of us.  I'm in the same spot as cappytan, I have a few drinks before the meeting, than I go and just sit there playing on my phone.  This act alone helps pacify my wife.  I don't cause a scene, I smile and wave to people, and go home.

If I could just quit and still have a relationship with my family I would.  

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I understand the individuals disdain for the cult and that once awake there's no real reason to play by their rules, but I think it is selfish to not show some consideration for others there who do take it seriously. Why not just stay home instead? you are going to quit anyway right?

You have to know it's not that simple.  At least not for everyone.  

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

A sister married to a man who was an elder, reported to the boe that her husband was drinking a lot at home, getting soused and verbally abusive.  They told her not to talk about it, because he was such a fine and beloved elder.  She kept telling the elders her husband was getting drunk and was angry at her.  She arrived soon at Disfellowship City.  Her husband Fine Elder was never so much as reproved.

She left him, and then was reinstated after a few years, and told me what happened.  

So brothers don't have to worry about having a few, before a meeting or anytime. Just go to the meetings!

Marina

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I used to drink after the meetings (alot). I know how you feel Cappytan. Once I left I now enjoy an occasional glass of wine. I REALLY enjoy that glass. I no longer need a straw in my bottle of wine.  It's a wonderful feeling.

It goes to show the the effects of this cult. I know lots of alcoholics that are still in.    

• cappytan
    cappytan
    It goes to show the the effects of this cult. I know lots of alcoholics that are still in.    

I might be an alcoholic. I don't know. 

One thing I do know is that I'm definitely abusing it from time to time.

I actually drank a helluva lot more before I woke up to TTATT. I was drinking from Noon til bedtime. I'd drink at work, even.

Now, I just drink a lot on meeting days. I really only drink drink two days a week. 

I will have a beer or two with dinner, occasionally, though, but never get a buzz unless it's meeting day.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    cappytan don't let them dog you. Drinking is awesome. If you have a problem it will be wrecking your life, if you don't you are just having fun. No downplaying of abuse, but not all of us who drink and have a good time and even joke about it are destroying our lives with "the creature". I have a very high tolerance as well, I enjoying drinking very much and as not giving a crap about the Jdub I am happy to admit I love to drink! That being said, I try to stay fit and healthy, so take big breaks from it at times, and don't wreck myself very often, maybe once every 6 months I need to remember how awful that feels lol. But this thread was in good fun and don't knock going to a meeting with a buzz until you've tried it. I don't believe our friend cappytan has a problem. enjoy your lives a little people. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit