Why do you live where you live?

by Satans little helper 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

For me I just drifted there when I finished my degree and the girl I was living with at the time got a good job with Hewlett Packard. I tagged along and got a job within commuting distance. I don't really like the city I live in but I haven't bothered moving for the last 6 years through inertia I guess.

Do you live where you grew up, and are you planning on moving one day?

What keeps you living where you are

• Gill
    Gill

We're trapped by lack of cash! But me and the National Lottery are working on a cunning little plan.......

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper
    We're trapped by lack of cash! But me and the National Lottery are working on a cunning little plan.......

I know that feeling, we are taking the money and running - to Australia!

• Gill
    Gill

Hey SLH! Australia sounds wonderful!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I grew up in Southern Ontario. When I was 22 my wife and I moved east to Nova Scotia for a change in scene but we plan on moving back home one day.

Kwin

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

So why Nova Scotia? and what is it about Southern Ontario that would draw you back?

Hey SLH! Australia sounds wonderful!

August 14th we board a plane for Perth and won't ever be coming back, unless it's just for a holiday.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    So why Nova Scotia? and what is it about Southern Ontario that would draw you back?

We had visited NS a few times and thought it would be nice to live. I worked for a company that had an opening in Halifax, so I requested a transfer. That was 4 years ago. Halifax really is a beautiful city, but Nova Scotia in general seems to be really behind in several aspects that I was very acustomed to in ON with the big example being wages vs. cost-of-living ratio. All our non-JW family is in ON (all my wife's family and most of my family), and therefore our support for leaving is there as well. Plus, Mrs. Kwin (Heart2Heart) is getting homesick after being away from home for 4 years.

Kwin

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Yes, I live within 20 miles of where I grew up. I like where I live it?s a small pretty village with next to no crime and a good community spirit, yet I can hop on a train (station 2.5 miles away) and be in central London in 30 minutes, Best of both worlds.

I did move away to Devon for a few years but on the whole hated it. I lived in a tourist town by the sea, boy where the people there small minded and what with all the Grockals(Sp) (endearing name given to tourists by locals) doing the everyday business of life during the summer was a nightmare.

I would like to live abroad for a few years, just to experience different cultures. I think I will always be drawn back to my roots in the end.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I was born and brought up in Plymouth so I know what you mean about grockle baiting, the small mindedness is one of the things I hate about going home. My family are from Cornwall and we get to go back quite regularly; while the region is beautiful, there are no jobs and the people are kind but too parochial. Having said that the people are like that in Perth where I am moving to in Oz, but at least the sun shines!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I am living in Surrey because thats where my ex brought me when I was 19 to escape my small town in Lincolnshire and my current partner lives here so I have remained. But I do want to moce - I have incredibly itchy feet. I think this is down to the fact that I never lived anyway longer than 3 years with my parents, we were constantly moving to serve where the need was greater. Ring any bells? So by the time I was 16 I had moved as many times as I was years old. I have now lived with my b/f four years nearly in the same house, which is a new experience for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit