An Anti-Aging Pill ( Maybe)

by metatron 19 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Various researchers a have been looking for an anti-aging pill based on the assumption that, if you can maintain a higher

level of various endogenous anti-oxidants ( catalase, SOD, etc), you could probably slow down the aging process. Even some skeptics

seem to think this is a good bet. One of the problems is that the FDA won't recognize aging as a disease and so won't approve

of any drug that defeats aging ( your government, hard at work).

OK, so this has led to a search of herbal or naturally derived substances ( mostly unregulated) that can demonstrate an absorption of natural

anti-oxidants into the body. ( SOD normally gets digested and not absorbed).

so the French came up with this:

www.plthomas.com/PLTbrands/glisodin.htm

Another company came up with a pill that triggers an increase in the bodies' production of these antioxidants

www.protandim.com/html/about_the_science/protandim_solution.htm

Bacopa (Ayurvedic herb) has been shown to upregulate SOD production.

(if either link doesn't work, look up protandim and glisodin - and also look at Juvenon, which did remarkable

stuff to aging mice)

Will these keep you younger or slow aging down? Can't say for sure - but it looks promising.

The cool part is that they now have tests to determine if the antioxidants are really working to protect tissues.

I'm gonna investigate both. I would really like to see 'DNA chip' testing with both as I think that would be definitive.

Progress is being made.

metatron

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Knowing your interest in this subject Metatron, I'm curious if you keep to a very restricted calorie diet?

• metatron
    metatron

I can't manage a full-on CR diet but I watch what I eat ( and how much) very carefully. Hopefully, we'll see a CR mimic pill soon.

metatron

• Mary
    Mary

Now Metatron, you know full well that the only anti-aging pill available, is a copy of the "You Can Live Forever" book.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Have you ever thought about the irony of the whole eating disorder subject vs the science of C-R? I find it kind of humorous myself. I know that an eating disorder is not the same thing, but I think it throws some interesting thoughts on the subject into the mix, thoughts that alot of people probably would rather not have thrown into the mix, lol. I can't help but wonder if more than a few people who are accused of (perhaps even to the point of believing it themselves) having eating disorders aren't as unhealthy as we might have thought?

• metatron
    metatron

Anorexia and CR are different things. In CR, you consume small amounts of nutritious food, not simply starving yourself

to death. I'd be curious to know if anorexia triggers some internal addiction to endorphins or similar substances.

I also think that researchers might want to take a another look at observations that were made in WW2 when many people

couldn't get enough to eat. There were reports of reductions in diabetic and cardiac problems, amoung other things.

The evidence for CR has always been with us, it just took effort to notice. Unfortunately, some clinical trials of various

life extending drugs may be bogus if they created an unintended CR effect - in which animals just didn't feel like eating.

I'm happy to see better tests of these treatments emerging. The most recent AARP bulletin mentioned that individual

genetic tests for drug response are coming along quickly and may be publically available soon.

metatron

• wednesday
    wednesday

Met,

do u follow just any CR diet or a special one? any websites?

weds

• upside/down
    upside/down

Let's not forget the marathon running, tree bark eating, granola crunching, tofu turkey eating, only drinks glacier water, oxygen bar frequenting, vitamin popping, purified air breathing, only natural fabric wearing, wipes his ass with a pine cone kinda people...

That drop dead at 32 from having lived a sh*tty life!

Although this technology certainly sounds promising and I hope it works... Since being released from the bOrg, I've finally started "living" and intend to ride this bad boy hard till the day it won't go anymore.

u/d ( of the got a lot of "living" to catch up on class)

• metatron
    metatron

There are a number of books and articles on CR - It's not an easy thing to manage. I DO recommend a subscription

to Life Extension magazine - they keep abrest of what's going on and offer pharmaceutical grade supplements, certified

as to content and potency. They also maintain a fight against the FDA and its efforts to deny supplements/therapies to the

public. Like I said, I'm hoping for a legal CR mimic pill soon.

metatron

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

metatron, I recently started taking a supplement containing 100 mg of Trans-Resveratrol per capsule.As you likely know, studies show that taking Trans-Resveratrol produces the same benefits as calorie restricted diet. I have high hopes regarding it. Months earlier I began taking other supplements with the hope of improving my health and reversing my ageing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit