Dr Laura

by AuntieJane 29 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

I completely agree. I wouldn't let my kids within 100 miles of a believing Witness, ever.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Well, I'd hardly call her a quack or a flake in light of her education and background (see below).

The charge of hypocrisy does not fly either. If that was the case, no parent who has tried drugs or alcohol would be able to tell their own children not to do so because they'd be being hypocrites. Hypocrisy is when you are currently doing something that you are telling others not to do and she does not do that.

Dr. Laura has gotten her life together, and it's great that she has been able to rise above her past. Dr. Laura has admitted, on the air and in print, to a wild and speckled past and continues to state that her show is in part to help others not have to go through some of the things she has. She works from home for her radio show. As irritating as she can be, she does help people. There was a point in time when she helped me. As far as her not being on speaking terms with her mom and sister, there are probably a lot of people here who are in the same shape. Dr. Laura does not go into why specifically, but has indicated that there were abandonment issues involved, and that her sister was one of those people who was always causing drama in her family life. Sounds like a matter of preserving her family peace to me.

I think that the big stink over her is that she states a firm belief in right and wrong, rather than in so many shades of gray phychobable that gives each person an out for bad behavior. Calling it like it is has never been popular. Don't know if she is right or wrong, but I won't bash the woman for her efforts to make the world a better place for kids.

My two cents...

Jeannie DR. LAURA C. SCHLESSINGER
    BACKGROUND FACTS

EDUCATION

• BS, Biological Sciences, SUNY Stonybrook, Long Island, NY
    • MS, M Phil, Ph.D. (Physiology), Columbia University (College of Physicians and Surgeons), NY
    • Post-Doctoral Certification in Marriage, Family and Child Counseling, Human Relations Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
    • Licensed Marriage, Family and Child Counselor (MFCC), California, formerly in private practice for 12 years
    • Past member of the Biological Sciences faculty of the University of Southern California (five years) and the graduate Psychology faculty of Pepperdine University (eight years)
  • jazbug
    jazbug

Well, lets see....if everyone took Dr. Laura's advice............

there would be no single mothers,

couples would stay married and raise their own children,

women nor men would stay in abusive, addictive, or adulterous relationships,

couples would actually get to know each other BEFORE they were married by dating for at least 1.5 yrs.

divorced parents would maintain a good relationship for the sake of the children's relationship with their parents, provide stable homes by not bringing in new boyfriends, girlfriends and their kids to confuse the whole family issue for the children.

women would not try to fix men after they are married, but find a good guy in the first place...hmmm need I go on?

She may sound moralistic and judgemental but this country is morally bankrupt and someone needs to stand up for what is right!

And I have never heard her say anything good about JW's...in fact, when I was still active I was very offended about how she talked about JW's....guess she knew what she was talking about there too.

IN MY NEVER TO BE HUMBLE OPINION......

Additionally, her son in now in the military, Marines I think and she worked while he was in school and was home when he came home.

I am now stepping down from my perverbial soapbox and wait for the throwing of darts at this post, with all due respect of course.

jazbug

• jazbug
    jazbug

Sphere,

I meant to say that they WOULDN'T STAY IN ABUSIVE, ETC. RELATIONSHIPS.

Ideally, there wouldn't be single mothers . However single mothers and divorced mothers are two different things.....soooooooo for those of us who refuse to make our marriages work, then we should make it is as easy for the children as possible not burdening them with our own issues and desires.

Since this is the real world and most people aren't going to follow her advice, then there are going to be divorces....in those cases her advice applies.

I guess I should have went into more detail but I thot that I was covering various scenarios that are discussed on her program and how much better families would be if we followed them.

Some people would not think of her as mean but as straight forward, pulling no punches, not pussy-footing around and trying to get people to wake up.

Have you heard all the calls she gets from people who say they were offended on the first call, thot about it, applied the advice and it changed their lives for the better.

She and Dr. Phil are pretty much in the same category...he also offends some people but he seems to be helping a lot of people and getting the job done.

Most people just dont want to hear the truth in black and white, they want to do what feels good to them regardless of what it does to their family. Of course that is a generalization and I am sure yo don't fit that category.But generally one HAS to be extremly blunt and to the point to get a person's attention.

jazbug

Anyway, thanks for the darts. jazbug

• upside/down
    upside/down

Dr. Laura and Dr.Phil....

Two imperfect people making millions off of many many even more imperfect adherents.

Funny my parents said the same stuff- good old fashioned common sense. They got paid zilch!

Here's to their ability to entertain under the guise of "psychology".

I get more help and love from reading Mark Twain.

u/d (of the gotta get me a radio show and make bank class)

• dh
    dh
    Dr. Laura, in true fashion, said that the lady who called was irresponsible because she 1) Should NOT leave a young child alone, unsupervised, with people who are filling her head full of "stuff" that they don't agree with; and 2) because they are hostile to her husband, the DF'd JW.

I've never heard of Dr. Laura (yes I live under a rock) but she sounds spot on with what she said. I would agree with it completely.

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

She can go fornicate herself...I do NOT like "Dr. Laura."

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Dr. Laura has changed over the years she was once very sexual and liked to show it.

"WARNING GRAPHIC PICS"

http://www.pencilnecks.com/Laura.htm

• minimus
    minimus

You're so much a Ho, Ho.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Dr Laura is right -don't let your child near a believing JWS without supervision, but I think she is a total bit*h and as Scully said, would not seek advice from her if she was the last person on earth. And she is a hypocrite for not admitting her past.

And I'm not too crazy about Dr. Phil either.

It's possible to give advice without being hateful.

weds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit