Dr Laura

by AuntieJane 29 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

Dr. Laura is imperfect, just like us. I basically like her advice but have heard to cut people short and miss the point of their call. Her advice is not easy to take nor is it always spot on. But no one can give the same advice to every individual. She would have me living in a small condo working at my old job (only 4 days a week) but I couldn't afford to invest in retirement nor a savings account.

Dr. Laura advocates putting children first. I agree with that. If I had the ability to be a stay at home mom, I would do it in a heartbeat. I don't need a career to be fulfilled.

Dr. Laura's mom is now dead. She has been dead at least 2 years now.

• beebee
    beebee

I lot of people who live less than perfect lives can give perfect advice. Why? #1 they know the consequences of their own stupid behavior, & #2 they aren't emotionally involved in OTHER people's choices.

If we could remove emotions like love, guilt, shame, etc. from our decision making we'd all do better more often, but as humans, most of us can't completely rid ourselves of emotion-based decision making.

I'm not fond of Dr. Laura; I too find her judgemental and self-rightous, but..... I think in this instance, her answers (outside of blasting the mom which was wrong) were right on and logical - If the grandparents are disrespectful of the parents, then they do not deserve to see their grandkids, and if they do, it should be limited (like family parties) and never unsupervised. Add to that the scary (you're all doomed) talk to young children, which is inappropriate at best, and they've sealed their coffins as far as I'm concerned.

Any person who is abusive to children needs to be limited, whether that abuse is physical, emotional, psychological or sexual. As parents we DO have the right to set limits on the behaviors of others around our kids. This type of issue came up in another thread this weekend as a grandmother got angry because the daughter didn't want her child to witness her shunning. Same answer - Grandma abide by the limits that I, the parent, set or don't be around.

Unfortunately this can be hard for a lot of people for a number of reasons, not to mention the GUILT that will be laid upon them for demanding that THEIR rights be preserved. It is hard to move from the role of juvenile child to adult child in the parent/child relationship but BOTH parties need to change. Sometimes its the kid that has to make the first move. Other reasons this may be tough is if the grandparents are the babysitter. It's so easy to be outside the situation and say "find another sitter," but that isn't always so easy.

Hopefully, the mom involved got the point, despite the unjustified abuse she took.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Good grief! I happen to like Dr. Laura most of the time but as of late and I have only been back listening to her show for the last year with a two to three year break I find myself getting most annoyed at her impatience with people and lack of desire to even offer help.

Like take Friday's show she must have hung up on 3 or 4 callers because they didn't meet her requirements of a good caller which seem to change from moment to moment. I have a feeling she is getting tired after years of the same old crap, same stupid callers and actually seeing that she can't cure everyone she'll be throwing the towel in, her impatience is showing a lot lately. It's a real turn off and after all she mostly is promoting her books directing all her callers to her book the latest being "The Proper Care....and blablabla". It amazes me how she can spin every call into that book. I wonder how long before the radio stations turn her out to pasture.

As far as her advise she has not cornered the market on good and common sense and I'm mostly amazed at how many people out there in radio land have really screwed up lives and no common sense but then maybe she gets her calls from Mars?

It's entertainment and the best thing is I can turn the channel, I'm beginning a whole new love affair with country music again! Heehaw!

Kate

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Well well. You have to admit she certainly was in good shape in those pixs and looks like she was having fun!

Thanks HoMiCin

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Dr. Laura is entertaining, I'll give her that. The thing that amazed me is that people would call her show often enough to fill a three hour slot every day ... and these people had lstened to her for years ... and they knew she was gonna hand them their individual asses, but they called anyway. Dr. Laura callers are some of the most inbred, stupid, dipshits on the face of the earth. Dr. Laura is the shallow end of the radio gene pool.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

My two cents:

Dr. Laura was SPOT ON. I heard the call when I was driving home from town. The woman was a total wuss, and she was not protecting her child from the harmful JW relatives, and her hushand was a real wimpola. Children are very impressionable, and if they are being fed with the JW SHIT.. sorry about that moderators.. and then being raised in a different kind of environment, they will be confused.

Wives and husbands, ideally, should be together, as a union, in the raising of their children: forming a unified front. That is the ideal unit for children. If they are being torn here into next Tuesday by different beliefs, it's not good for the kids, and undermines the respect and authority of the parents. Because her husband was a damned wimp, she had to take it into her own hands, and she was wimpin out on it, cuz her husband was sittin on the fence, and she didn't want to take a stand against her husband's parents. But then she calls up complainin about it..

Dr. Laura put it like it was. If your husband is sitting on the fence, and he's a wimp.. take it into your own hands. Those children should NOT BE with the JW grandparents because they are NOT your religion and they do not respect YOUR beliefs. They will undermine the cohesiveness of the family unit. They will tell the kids that their parents will die.. and Jehovah is a very vicious and hateful GOd and you will NOT go to heaven when you die, but your eyes will be eaten out by ravens as you lay helpless on the plain...

Gee.. hate Dr. Laura all ya want.. but that's basically what it boils down to right? It just boils down to the fact that these JWs are going to tell their grandchildren that if their Father is NOT reinstated, he will lay in the dirt and fire will come from the sky, and his eyeballs will be eaten out by ravens? Sure... Let YOUR children believe that about their beloved Father.. But I wouldn't. I'm with Gary Bus...

As far as I can be away from the planet Venus is about as far as I would keep those kids away from those kind of Grandparents.

It's not Dr. Larua's fault. She may be harsh and abrasive, but she has a lot of good common sense. Sorry.. I said it.

<puts on fire retardant suit>

CG

CG

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I used to listen to her and I often agree with her adivce... but I just can't take listening anymore.

I find her much like the JWs: All RULES and NO LOVE.

Oh yeah, and judgemental, mean, and selfrightous.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Country Girl is right on. There are 1000's of people in this country who don't have a CLUE on Morals, how to raise kids, keep a job, etc. They need to hear it from someone, and most of the callers come from such dysfunctional families they can't get any help from them. SO at least they hear it from a Stranger who, although she talks like a B*tch and doesn't give them a chance to talk sometimes...She tells it like it is and hopefully they listen and pick up on something she says.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Oops I posted in the Wrong Place. Meant to reply to CountryGirl. So I will add this: I work in the court system and see too damn many kids w/out parents who repeat the same pattern over and over...and who is paying for them to survive? You and me! I'm sick of it. I think Dr. Laura does get the message across to many who don't get it from someone else.

• beebee
    beebee

Being blunt may have been in order but being rude and nasty would seem likely to cause someone not to listen. "why should I listen to this person that didn't hear me out and was very rude?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit