Awesome Pet Stories!!!!!!!!

by BrendaCloutier 34 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Let me introduce Max. He's my avitar. His official name is Maxmilian San Queue (no tail - he's a Manx). When he was about 10 months old, he became Maximilian Sans Couille (no balls). He's 11-1/2 years old, is diabetic and has been receiving 2 insulin shots per day for 2-1/2 years. He weighs 18-1/2 pounds. Slightly overweight as his svelt weight is 17 pounds.

Well, he is one of the most incredible animals I've had the pleasure of knowing. Because he has no tail, and because he's always been talked to in normal english, he has become a very outspoken cat. He has words for Milk and Out and I Want. They are recognizable from other words in cattish, many of which we recognize in context. Simple to say, he has learned English, and we are learning Cattish.

One morning two weeks ago, he was asking for something, but it was a little different than other requests. He was in front of the entry door, next to the cat door that he believes is beneath his use. (Also because one or the other of our other two cats will lay in wait for the next cat out the catdoor.)

So, standing at the bottom of the stairs I asked "Max what do you want?". He responded with a similar sentence. So I asked "Max, I don't understand. Show me. Max, show me." (We have some hand signals for our cats, and one of them is open palms out fingers pointing down as in Show Me used along with the spoken words. I didn't use any hand signal.)

Max walks away from the entry door. I went up the stairs (6) and followed him into the bathroom, where he sat on the rug in front of the toilet, facing away from the toilet, looked at me and said "merou".

"Ok, come on". We went to the front door together, I opened it and let him out, and he went directly to the litterbox we keep on the porch for emergencies.

I must say this level of communication blew me away. We have always felt him to be an intelligent awesome animal, just one more thing to reinforce it.

So, what are your Awesome Pet Stories?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Thats great!

I have two cats (male and female from same litter), and you are right, after awhile they really DO develop a vocabulary of "meows" to communicate. I've also developed certain phrases and hand signals like you described.

If I want them to get down from somewhere, I just say "Down". If they are reluctant, I will do it with a certain hand signal so they know I mean business... then they hop down.

The female loves for me to pet her when she eats, so when she is hungry she will walk in front of me like she is going to lead me somewhere, then stops and looks at me with a meow. I've gotten into the habit of responding with "Want me to follow you?" and as soon as she hears me say that she starts off toward her food dish, occasionally looking back to make sure I'm following. If I stop following she will repeat the process to get my attention again.

They have several very distinct meows for communicating different things... I can tell when they are hungry, when they are thirsty, when they want to look out a window (my blinds are normally pulled) and when they want to go out onto the patio... when they want some attention, etc...

Cats really are very intelligent!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Yes! We have them right where they want us.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lol! yup! We sure do!

• fairchild
    fairchild

I am not a pet person, and the idea of having a pet never crossed my mind. Being a bit of a clean freak, having pet hair all over the place didn't seem overly attractive. Then, one day, a cat showed up at my place. She was very skinny. I didn't know what to do. When she was still lurking around my place a week later, I bought some cat food at Wally world and started feeding her. I put the dish with food about a hundred feet away from the house, so that she wouldn't know who was feeding her, and get the idea in her head that I would take her in. The feed-the-cat from a hundred feet distance went on for several months. Then wintertime arrived, and the white season can be quite cruel up in the Adirondacks where I live. I built a little house for her, and put some insulation in the walls. I also made a little 'porch' on it, so that the snow wouldn't blow inside. It was satisfying to see that this 'stranger' used her tiny house, once the temperatures started dropping into the single digits. But one night, I came home from work at 1 in the morning, the wind was blowing mercilessly, and the outdoor thermometer showed a horrible 26 below zero. The cat was on my porch, crying, she had her head against the door, knowing I would open it. Well, I'm not heartless, so I thought "Okay, just for this ONE night". That was seven years ago, and my little queen is cuddled up on my lap while I am writing this.

The first winter was rough. To her, a litterbox seemed like the kind of gadget you sniff for a minute and then walk away from. Being a stray, I figured that perhaps she needed regular dirt, something she would be more familiar with. Now, you try to find dirt under 4 feet of snow with the ground all frozen! I shoveled a small area in the snow, and then broke up the dirt underneath with a pick axe. I carried the clumps of frozen dirt inside and let them thaw out. Sure enough, the cat knew what they were for, and she used her new litterbox. Problem is that, when you have straight dirt in there, you have to change it every time the cat uses it, otherwise the smell becomes rather obnoxious. I did a lot of digging, dragging and thawing out that winter. I started mixing the dirt with kitty litter, a bit more litter each time, until she was used to the litter. It worked.

Soon I found out that the cat had strange habits. She often attacked and bit me for no reason. Several times I woke up in the middle of the night, because she was standing right on top of me, hissing. When I walked through the house, she would come out of nowhere, jump on my legs and bite me. It took a few months and a few harsh words to teach her right from wrong, but she started to know the boundaries and quit biting me. Unfortunately, to this day, I have been unable to teach her not to attack or bite strangers, she still does that as a rule.

Last winter, I became quite ill. After being released from the hospital, I had to stay home for two more weeks and rest. My cat surprised the heck out of me during that time. She knew what was going on, and she did the best she could to take care of me. She never left my bed (unless to eat and to use the litter box). On a normal day, she runs around quite a bit and plays with her toys. Not when I was sick. She spent two weeks with her body wrapped around my head "to keep me warm". She also constantly "washed" me. Two days after I got home from the hospital, I knew that I had taken a turn for the worse. I tried to reach the phone on my nightstand, but I was too weak to lift my arm and grab it. The cat CRIED, I swear. It was the only time in the seven years she has been with me that she cried in such a strange way. This, of course, worried my more than anything else. I thought I was dying (animals feel that). Obviously I made it through. During the next days, friends came over to bring food and such. The cat attacked every single one of them, and would not allow them to come near my bed. In the end, the friends decided to put my food by the door. Better safe than sorry. Ever since that time, one of my friends still always calls before he comes over, asking me to make sure the cat is outside.

My family lives on a different continent, and I have lost touch with most of them. The cat is practically my only family. I love her very much. According to the vet, she was about 1 year old when she decided to move in with me, which makes her about 8 years old now. She is a lovely creature (to me at least), and I worry about her every time she goes outside. She loves to jump in the street right in front of cars, and she attacks everything that moves, even dogs, no matter how big they are. Last summer she brought me a huge rat.

She lives like a queen. She only eats cat chow, and does not care for any of the cat treats, except for fancy feast salmon. I give her tunafish once a week (on Tuesdays), which makes me think that she knows the days of the week, because only on Tuesdays does she jump up on the counter when I open the fridge. She has more toys than I had when I was a kid.

Her name is Mousti.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Very cute!

My two cats love to curl up with me at night.

When it comes to people they don't know... they are total scaredy-cats. If they so much as hear the sound of someone walking down my apartment breeze-way they run and hide. What is odd is that when I walk into the apartment, many times they are headed toward to door to meet me! I can only guess that they know it?s me because of the sound of me unlocking the door.

When I have a guest over, it usually takes a few hours for them to warm up to the new person.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Ok all of you pet owners and pet lovers out there.... this isn't just about how awesome cats are. Let's hear your awesome dog stories. (Yes, they can be awesome too!) How about an awesome iguana story?

Come on y'all join in now, ya hear!

• missy04
    missy04

It always amazes me how much (extra) love I get from my Beagle Dixie and ferret Bitey-Bitey when I am sick. Extra kisses.

I guess they amaze me every day though. I know they are very capable of feeling love no matter what some people say.

btw, Brenda that is a very cool story! What a smart cat!!

~Sarah

• orbison11
    orbison11

just wanted to let you all know how fuzzy your stories bout your pets made me

i just got 'my' first pet, a puppy bout 5 months ago, she takes up so much of my time but her falling asleep in my arms at night makes it all worthwhile...

she knows how to crawl like an army man, can jump through a hoop, now we are working on the roll over routine,,,,,

she is not allowed to jump onme when i get home until my coat is off and i pick her up, so she jumps up and down about 3 times her height all around me ,,,,,,

wendy

• Satanus
    Satanus

My cat almost has me trained to stand beside her while she is eating. But, i usually slip away after a few seconds. She has quite vocabulary as well.

Fairchild

I have heard a few stories of strays showing up outside peoples' houses and not leaving. I think that they actually choose the person. Maybe by vibes or something. And you thought that the cat didn't know that it was you who built the house and were feeding it.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit