Who else is not going to the memorial for the first time this year?

by Pole 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• fairchild
    fairchild

Sigh, I wish I knew what to do. The funny thing is that nobody at all has contacted me since I stopped going to the meetings. A rather unusual thing, because it used to be so that, when I missed one single meeting, someone would call or knock on my door to see if I was okay. I stopped going to the meetings in January, and have not heard a word from anyone. (That's why I think that they know about my presence on JWD, I don't have another explanation). Being in the middle of nowhere, the KH I used to go to is the only KH within reach, any other KH would be too far away to make it there in time after work. I will definitely go to the memorial IF they give me an invitation, but if they don't, I don't want to go as an uninvited guest.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    The funny thing is that nobody at all has contacted me since I stopped going to the meetings

From the perspective of the elders at my old congregation, Gina is a poor little weak servant of Jah living with an evil apostate. It was quite clear to them in the JC meeting that I was a rebellious lost-cause and she was just trying to keep her spirituality together. Not one time since then (two months?) has anyone called her. She is the proverbial 'lost sheep' and they haven't done a thing to contact her, even to invite her to their precious Memorial. Of course, we couldn't care less. But it's shocking that they are showing her no regard at all.

Fairchild, it didn't used to be this way. The elders and others in the congregation really would check up on people, it seemed genuine. There's been some sort of a shift lately toward only propping up the already-"strong" ones. The weak are being left to "die". Sounds like a great idea to me, but I don't get how it helps them? Hmmm.....

Dave

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Took my dad to his last one last year. I didn't go in, I just wheeled him up to the door and someone else took him in then I picked him up afterwards. I knew it was going to be his last one (he was in a terminal situation and passed last August) and kidded him about maybe eating and drinking the bread and wine. But he was a faithful dub, fifty years in the borg and no communion. It was a weird feeling watching all the sheep file in, I felt filled with a great sadness and pity for them, all going there to deny the sacrafice they believe Jesus made for them. Sad.

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

Besides that past 2 years I have attended memorial every year of my life. I am leaning towards going this year to see some old friends. I am hoping I run into some old D.F'ed friends of mine and apoloize for shunning them because the elders judge them to be unworthy of the borg. I am not disfellowshipped ( cant figure that out) so I can still talk with alot of families I grew up. Kinda of like a reunion, but I can see the pity in there eyes because I am a "lost sheep" Strange though that I pity them as well

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA
    Sigh, I wish I knew what to do.

Fairchild,

Don't worry about not going, the date is wrong anyway. the true date is the night before (the 23rd). Just do what a lot of us do, go to the store, buy some bread and wine from the jewish section and and have your own. This will take care of that nagging feeling of not "doing the right thing by not going." The important thing is that you partake, and on the right night, not that you attended a KH. You don't need a building to do as Jesus commanded ;)

Ash

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I haven't been for 2-3 years.And I'm glad :).

I remember going once one year and a neighbour of mine brought a person who I later met at my new church. He went b/c he was curious about JW beliefs and I remember him saying, "I notice nobody takes the symbols." Coincidentally it was a snooze-fest in a multi-purpose room in a theatre (they didn't have enough people that year to book the whole theatre).

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

This will be the first year I won't be attending. Im playing around the idea of hitting up another church just for curiosity sake.

• Pole
    Pole

Wow, there's quite a bunch of people who are not going to the Memorial for the first time. Let's see if the trend continues into the next year.

For me personally the WTS experience is slowly becoming a bad memory. I got my family out. Now I'm losing all the "friends". But the latter is only weirdly fun to watch. Last night I had one of them tell me I'm "a threat" to him, because I'd told him I no longer considered myself a witness. Typical.

blondie,

Somehow missing other JW meetings is easier for them to accept but missing the Memorial is more final in their minds. That is one reason why the WTS has the rank and file lobby so hard to get people to the Memorial besides getting a big number to point to.

Yeah. If they want it to be final - then let it be so.

Big Dog,

Took my dad to his last one last year. I didn't go in, I just wheeled him up to the door and someone else took him in then I picked him up afterwards.
    (...)
    It was a weird feeling watching all the sheep file in, I felt filled with a great sadness and pity for them, all going there to deny the sacrafice they believe Jesus made for them. Sad.

Thanks for sharing this story. The (EX)JW experience is so similar worldwide...

Good luck to those who still have their families in.

Pole

• upside/down
    upside/down

me and mine.

u/d

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I will not be going this year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit