Were You Ever Moved To Tears By A JW Moment Like In The Movies?

by Englishman 18 Replies latest jw friends

• prophecor
    prophecor

There was this moment during the Memorial Season, maybe 12 years or so ago. The Elder who gave the Memorial discourse was a particular case. He was kinda' difficult to deal with, as we are. I really didn't like this brother, in fact, I'll say I couldn't stand this brother to the point of near loathing. We do the usual standard songs that we do when the Memorial Season comes, listen, either respectfully or out of sheer guilt or obligation, but do so never the less. This was a night that was a lot different for me. I was going thru some pretty intense emotinal feelings, dealing with a lot of the frustration that comes as a result of straddling the fence. One foot in the world, the other one held in suspended animation as I try to figure where it was going to be placed. This talk was so moving, so profound, so intensive that towards the end I was welling up with tears, I don't even rember entirely what it was about, something about a train, seems that's a popular twist with Memorial discourses, that's all I remember, that's the only thing that stands out. I didn't casually walk out of the Hall but fled in tears because of how this brother that I could not stand, delivered that talk. From that day forward, though I did not like him, I respected him immensely as an Elder and as a human being. Arthur

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Hmmmmm . . .

• Dustin
    Dustin

Yeah, when the elders treated us so badly that my wife was crying about it. Sometimes when she cries, it makes me cry too.

Dustin

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

a memorial talk by brother lette years ago was very moving. (i guess around 1984? or 83) not sure what year.. it was WAY beyond the scripted sales pitches at the memorials now!

the last song at district conventions were always moving. ..the last prayer at district conventions were always too long.

there was a baptism talk at an assembly in the mid to late 80s that was mind blowing and had 15,000 people bawling.but i cant remember now what all was said.. again..it was before scripted talks. i do however remember thinking during that talk.. wow.. before the turn of the century the new system will be here... (cuz the brother in the talk told us so)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Not many songs or singing moves me to tears. There was a scene in the 1957 movie "The Enemy Below" where a German U-boat had been pounded by an Allied ship and the men had all but lost hope for survival. The captain sensing that their own fears were going to be the death of them had them sing a patriotic song in spite of the fact that it may reveal their position too clearly and they'd be depth charged again.

Watching the initially timid singing turn to an act of bravery, hope and defiance gave me goose bumps.

But that's just me...

Jeannie

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

It was an experience about a boy with some degenerative disease, so that eventually he needed crutches to walk. But he wouldn't let that stop him from going out preaching, despite living in a mountainous and rugged terrain. The other jws affectionately called him 4 wheel drive. I was choked up (but managed to hold it back). I admired his determination but also felt sorry how he was just being used by a sham organization.

• meat pie
    meat pie

yes, a few times. One was when we had a letter read out that included some words from a little boy (JW family ) who had survived badly injured from the Dunblane massacre.He had said that he was hoping to play with his (murdered) friends again one day.

Shirley.

• gumby
    gumby

I had many 'moments' in my dub life.

The song...... "Walking in Integrity" always made me cry.

Gumbawler

• talesin
    talesin

When someone was df/reinstated - sad/happy tears.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit