Were You Ever Moved To Tears By A JW Moment Like In The Movies?

by Englishman 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Just once.

I was on the way home from the 1958 assembly at Yankee Stadium. We were aboard the "Arosa Sun" and sailing from New York to Plymouth, England. The ship was pretty well 50 - 50 split between British and German.

When we arrived at Plymouth, the British contingent disembarked whilst the Germans stayed on board to continue on to Bremerhaven. The Germans were lining the decks of the ship waving goodbye to us.

Suddenly, we heard a faint singing from the bow end of the ship. Then it spread right along until the whole vessel reverberated with the song.

It wasn't a Kingdom Song either. It seemed that the whole of Plymouth Sound was ringing to the strains of "Now is the Hour".

Now that was emotional.

I've come over all teary-eyed now...I think I'll go watch Casablanca again..

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon

Hearing "We thank you Jeh-ho ... vah" ringing around Maine Road stadium could be quite moving (esp. on the last one there)

• dh
    dh

When my mom took me out back and belted me for misbehaving during the meeting... that moved me to tears.

• zman
    zman

A sister stepped on my toe with heals at the hall once!!! Was that what you were lookin for!

Or the time I hit my finger with a hammer at a quick build.

And then when dad said no sports my freshman year.

owwwww you meant good moments...............................................no.

thx dh I forgot (repressed) the beatings!!!!!!!! lmao

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Your avatar Jez, the thought of all the hotties fleeing the Borg and walking among us. *Sniff*

• dostprefer
    dostprefer

Re: Were You Ever Moved To Tears By A JW Moment Like In The Movies?

Its tough when those who cry become the butt of jokes of those who can't empathise. Sometimes there are things deep down there which can't get out. Gratuitous cruelty demonstrates it .

• christopherrobin
    christopherrobin

How refreshing to hear HUMAN responses---I too, had heavy emotions the first time I heard that song in LA at my first Convention.While the reality is obvious, it is still nice to look back and say--'You know--that DID make me feel good at the time'--nothing wrong w/ a posotive memory.

• Mary
    Mary
    Simon said: Hearing "We thank you Jeh-ho ... vah" ringing around Maine Road stadium could be quite moving (esp. on the last one there)

Yes, this song moved many Witnesses. It's funny, you didn't get the same feeling when the opened the Thursday night meeting with this song, as you did when they closed the summer assembly with this song.......for me, I still can't sing Keep Your Eyes On the Prize without crying, because it was my sister's favorite Kingdom song.....she died when she was 10 years old and that song still reminds me of her, especially when it says "....then too you'll see the dead arise, if you keep your eyes on the prize..." God, I'm tearing up just writing this..........thanks ALOT Englishman!!!!

• Es
    Es

I must admit when experiences were read out at conventions that used to bring me to tears.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I must admit when experiences were read out at conventions that used to bring me to tears.

I did the experiences part at a DA back in the early 70's. It was A SCRIPT and we just did it like it was personal to us. I don't know if this was a one of a kind thing or if they did it all the time just to make a point but I was STUMBLED. I think more and more there is no local imput but it is a program developed at Brooklyn and sent out everywhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit