WT banned music

by truth_about_the_truth 44 Replies latest social entertainment

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

My elder dad used to flip when he heard Metallica or Iron Maiden hammering out of my room. Nirvana was my leaving anthem too, plenty of teenage angst there coming out of every pore!

It makes me laugh because I can remember my dad throwing out a Rolling stones album with Sympathy For the Devil on it, while I was sat in my room listening to Kiss who were suposedly satanic (what rot!)

We had a CO who thought he was hip and down with the kids and used to take the piss out of groups based solely on their names. He made some quip about the group Wet Wet Wet one circuit assembly and I just cringed with embaressment at how rediculous this guy sounded.

Don't even get me started about the pathetic ban on 'discos'. My puritanical grandmother flipped out when my parents told her I was going to the school disco when I was 10. Obviously I was going to get pissed and laid, bloody idiots. I am convinced that it's all a well thought out plan to remove the believer's ability to relate to people in general so they become introverted and easier to control.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

In our congregation,whatever the PO didn't know or like was banned.

Dancing Queen by Abba was suppose to be about a stripper

Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees was just not to be played at get-togethers.We played it once and even did the travolta strut along with it,had a real laugh with that one.

I was at a get-together(like that one?) once where we wanted to have If you're gonna play in Texas-you gotta have a fiddle in the band by Alabama.Well,the PO just about freaked out,he didn't know the song so it wasn't gonna play.I was totally stunned;I was 28 yrs old and too stupid or "spiritually immature" to know if a song could be played,only the PO had that privilege.A while later his son played one of his favorites:Fortunate Son by CCR.A real cool song but still patriotic and not for jw loyalists.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Obviously I was going to get pissed and laid,

SLH

Yeah maybe not while you were ten but three years from then...and thats exactly why you would be going to the school disco...where did you hide the bottle of vodka? Go on tell us...

• Angharad
    Angharad
    Don't even get me started about the pathetic ban on 'discos'

That just reminded me of when a large group in my old hall were staying at a hotel (circuit assembly) this hotel had a disco attached to it - there was one particular elder who made a point of sitting in the bar all evening right next to the door to the disco to make sure NOBODY from the hall got in. Funny thing was that you could enter the disco from the outside of the hotel too so his little steakout was pretty pointless really but I suppose it made him feel good

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

BUMP!

V665

• ninetynine
    ninetynine

Michael Jackson had to be turned off everytime his music was on the radio

The Macarena was banned apparently the dance had origins to pagan worshipping

At one assembly they made a strong point to parents to go through their kids stash of cd's, then they did the stupid spill about children obeying their parents, well my parents did as they were told, and actually went through my personal stash of cd's, not impressed as i was at the age of 20!! they went and discarded 80% of my cd's whilst i was at work, i then came home to a stern lecture and a massive fight, as i had bought those cd's.

In my stash was TLC's crazy sexy cool, they got rid of that cause it had the word sexy on the title

The governing body also seem to define loud music as being unchiristian too!!

If you go to a nightclub, then you have invited Satan into your life cause discos and night clubs is basically an evil invention, ya know if you do go there then you will surely have sex

Another goodie was they used to have Talks about young ones and parties and a responsible youngster would go to the inviter and ask them what songs will be played, he was to get a list of music and discuss and research them with his parents, then he would decide whether to attend or not attend.

• pirata
    pirata

km3/05p.3Announcements

? A number of publishers have telephoned the branch office regarding certain recordings of Kingdom songs sung in a popular style that are presently being circulated among Jehovah’s Witnesses. They wonder if these recordings have the organization’s approval. We are aware of these recordings and would like to inform you that they do not have our approval. Please do not circulate or download these recordings from the Internet. We trust this information will clarify matters.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

It's funny that the songs spoken of in that KM were actually recorded AT bethel by the AV dept!!! The GB just threw a huge fit about them because they sounded like "Christendom's music"!

• pirata
    pirata

It's funny too that they're the only renditions I like to listen too. But I have to listen to them in "secret" since they I have brazenly downloaded them.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

You mean you don't like the cd "Singing Kingdom Melodies" that came out in the 90's?

That was the most horrible cd they've ever released. My dad put it in after it was released...and about 30 seconds later, promptly took it out and said "...that was a mistake."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit