WT banned music

by truth_about_the_truth 44 Replies latest social entertainment

• talesin
    talesin

Okay, I just had to put on my Best of KISS (Knights In Service of Satan, ya know!!!) in honor of this thread. They were the big Satanic group of my youth. Good old-fashioned, simplistic 70s Rockl.

Call me Dr. Love hehehe

• Preston
    Preston

What if God were just a slob....like one of us?

When I was an MS we had a meeting and we were adamantly informed that at all of our weddings and social gatherings where they played music, that no one was ever to play YMCA by the Village People...because of that damn gay-openess! Oh puh-lease!!!! Likewise, years previously we were told to get rid of all of our music by any artists that were openly gay or bi....and with that went a lot of David Bowie! Noooooooooo!

alt

- Preston

• Dustin
    Dustin

I was the poster child for evil music when I used to go to the kingdom hall. The elders would search my car when I wasn't looking, just to try and incriminate me. When I moved to another congregation, one of the lines in the letter they sent read "has a severe problem with rap and heavy metal music". I find it funny, because music has always been a way for me to vent and express myself. They are afraid of anything that makes you as an individual question their teachings.

I know Alice in Chains, Metallica, Danzig, Godsmack, Zombie, NIN , and Manson were the catalysts that got the ball rolling in my quest to leave the JW religion. It wasn't having to do a lot of research, which I did later. Those bands helped me see what I really was all about inside of myself.

People should be able to listen to whatever they want to. The society realizes though, that if they allow that,others may come to question them like I did.

Dustin

• Purza
    Purza

I don't even want to know how much money I wasted on buying music, then being guilted in to throwing it away. What a waste!

Purza

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

"What if God were just a slob....like one of us?" I like that.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I secretly kept my limited edition CD single of Kiss's "Unholy". It is still my favourite song to listen to when getting ready to go out on the raz!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Music was fundamental in my reasons for leaving. Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit was my "leaving anthem". When I got my own room in a shared house when I left home at 16 the first thing I did was buy Kerrang and stick every poster up on my walls, regardless of whether I knew the artist and their music or not.

My mother visited the place just once and said that she felt a demonic presence in the room. I think it was the life size poster of Tommy Lee thrusting his leatherclad groin at her from the end of my bed! HEHE!

Ah the memories!

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy
    Nothing changes much in WatchtowerLand. When I was a teen, both the Beatles and the dance called "The Twist" were on the WT no-no list. It doesn't get much dumber than that.

I remeber that. We were told that the song "Twist" was taken from an ancient tribal sex chant. Can you believe that load of crap. Even when I was in I couldn't conceive that. They will say anything to keep you inline. I guess that's guerilla theocratic warface

• Thinking
    Thinking

Instead of Snoop Doggy Dogg (as he was called then) the speaker called him Snoopy Dog Dog. People laughed so hard that no one took anything the speaker said seriously after that.

hey undercover .......what convention did you hear that at as I heard that too.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Years ago,
    I remember a group of kids from the hall got tickets to see Back Street Boys . Before the concert there was a special needs talk about the lewd conduct at concerts and what goes on backstage. None wound up going.

A sister I know had 12 front row tickets to see Rolling Stones and when word got around ....she got rid of the tickets.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Every time I got disfellowshipped I bought Metallica, Gun n Roses Use Your Illusion 1 & 2

My sorta music...excellent choice, in fact i remember bring home appetite for destruction when i was about 15 and my mum went mad, so i hid it and waited for her to go out and brought it back in again.

She didnt much object to Metallica even though I was quite the avid fan (and still am), she said they were a bit loud but didnt view them as demonic...I think it was because she liked 'Fade to Black' on the Master of Puppets album personally. I always won the arguments about debased music when I was younger, perhaps it was because I was brought up on Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan, she didnt have much ground to argue on really lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit