WT banned music

by truth_about_the_truth 44 Replies latest social entertainment

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I heard that about macarena - it was nonsense. They used to ban the Bird Dance too (maybe this was a Canada thing?)

They banned anything that was popular and attracted people. Fleetwood Mac was banned because Stevie Nicks was a witch.

I know, I was a musician, we were always being criticized for certain songs...they would read anything into any lyric.

bottom line - if the masses like it, jw's see it as demonic.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I remember at one convention they were interviewing a teenager on stage about music. He said he really like Will Smith's song "Summertime", but after the Society came out with the information on rap music he burned his Will Smith CD. Will Smith has to be one of the cleanest rappers out there. I just thought what a idiot. I wonder how many ran home a burn their rap CD's. I also remember when I was young they really blasted any rock music and said that only country music was suitable to listen to.

In another thread I mentioned how the speaker mentioned the Stone Temple Pilots and how it was wrong to listen to them. I kept think that this guy has never listened to them and was just going on their name because it has the word Temple in it. What a bunch of losers.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Nothing changes much in WatchtowerLand. When I was a teen, both the Beatles and the dance called "The Twist" were on the WT no-no list. It doesn't get much dumber than that.

Oh, yeah: the game of Chess was considered a "war" game and although not outright banned, it was clear that "True Christians(tm)" shouldn't play it. The WTS doesn't need to ban anything, just like Oceana in the book "1984" had no laws. Loyal follows take the hints that are given and follow them. Or else.

All this idiocy was going on while thousands and thousands of dubs were dying and being sent to prison over their blood and alternative military service bans.

Strain gnat. Swallow camel. Violate Christian freedom and bind the masses with heavy loads while not lifting a finger to ease them.

Farkel

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake
    Instead of Snoop Doggy Dogg (as he was called then) the speaker called him Snoopy Dog Dog. People laughed so hard that no one took anything the speaker said seriously after that.

undercover this made me giggle so hard!

I know this is off topic, but it reminds me of when there was an announcement about a Watchtower CD-Rom coming out and instead of saying "rom" my dad kept saying it spelled out. You know, C-D-R-O-M. A lot of the younger kids who knew about computers were snickering loudly at my poor dad who knew nothing about computers and didn't know what an R-O-M was.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I remember the first time I felt strongly against something said at an assembly. Evidently the DO had a hard on for Pearl Jam. "And what of this so called Pearl Jam, with its debased and aggressive lyrics and beat"

I just remember thinking, man this guy doesnt hava clue.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

I can remember the music inquisition of the 80's, and Prince's Darling Nikki being quoted at a district assembly. One good thing came out of this though. I was being put under the pressure be our PO at his home to throw out my Punk collection because of demon influences. So, my retort was "well you have Barry Manilow, and he sings songs about show girls dancing in nightclubs, (subtle demon influences can be worse than the blatant). He broke his albums then and there. What a proud idiot.

Oh, I kept the punk.

Steve.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

6 or 7 years ago Joan Osbourne's song "What if God was one of us" was mentioned from the stage of the CA, for mocking God, and it wouldn't be appropriate to listen to that song.

Kwin

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Oh god you guys are cracking me up!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Every time I got disfellowshipped I bought Metallica, Gun n Roses Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 (Get In the Ring is a particular fave of mine) and Alice Cooper. Everytime I got reinstated or was on the way to reinstatement I destroyed them. Thats three times in all! Those artists are raking it in from me! LOL!

• blondie
    blondie
    6 or 7 years ago Joan Osbourne's song "What if God was one of us" was mentioned from the stage of the CA, for mocking God, and it wouldn't be appropriate to listen to that song.

I guess that means no JWs are watching Joan of Arcadia tonight?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit