Forgiveness, How Far Do You Take It?

by prophecor 42 Replies latest jw friends

• squinks
    squinks

I have wrestled with the same question. I think that forgiveness implies allowing that person back into a full role in your life. And I don't think that is necessary. If someone has proven themselves to be untrustworthy we need not let them back in.

I think we need to let go of hate and thoughts of revenge if you want to call that forgiveness. But if someone has been cruel and will probably do so again we can let go of hate without welcoming that person into our circle of loved ones.

When we forgive or let go of hate, we can send that person off to live their life in peace and wish them no ill will, but we need not be a part of their life, nor let them be part of ours.

Of course this is drastic and should be saved for extreme circumstances such as you described.

• squinks
    squinks

Nancy Drake,

OMG I cannot not believe your reply, I thought I was the only person on planet earth to have a Mom that cruel. I have found it necessary to cut all ties with my mom because of her cancer and heart attack scares. I have let go of the anger, but I cannot let her hurt me anymore, it took 48 years of misery to get to this point.

I forgive you Mom, but no more.

• prophesariah
    prophesariah

We are no longer under the law of the old testament, but follow the way of Jesus in the new testament. Jesus came from the bosom of God the Father. He is the direct expression of God's love for us. He came to teach and be a model of how we are to exist in this world .(We are in this world, but not of this world) . We are to love one another as Jesus loves us. Jesus also came because of the mercy of God to die on the cross as payment for all of our sins from the beginning (Adam and Eve) until the end.

In Luke 6:27 it says "But I say to you who hear; Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you".Luke 6:31 "And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, do good,and lend, hoping for nothing in return;and your reward will be great,and you will be sons of the Most High, For He is kind to the unthankful and evil, 36 Therefore be merciful,just asyour Father also is merciful

Luke 6:37 Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condem not, and you will not be condemed. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Jesus taught us how to pray when he instructed the disciples with The Lord's Prayer. In that prayer we say (Luke11:4) Forgive us our sins (trespasses) as we (are to) forgive those who sin (trespass) against us. This request asks God to forgives us for the wrongful things we do against Him and others, in the exact same measure proportionally and with the same manner, spirit, & attitude that we extend forgiveness to those who wrongfully do things against us.

When Jesus hung on the cross he prayed and asked God to forgive those who were responsible for and had a role in his crucifixition. (Luke 23:34) Father forgive them for they know not what they do.

How much are we to forgive ? How often are we to forgive? For each individually different sin, trespass, or offense we are to forgive 70 x7 times.

Through love and mercy you release the offender by crucifying or putting to death your feelings of anger, bitterness, and resentment. These are seeds of hatred that you do not want to allow the room to take root and grow within you. They are consuming and self-destructive physically, mentally, and spiritually. So, much more importantly, you save yourself from that bondage and reap the benefit of peace and health.

This is by no means an easy undertaking. You will not feel like doing it .However,it is a choice and in your best interest to do it anyway. This is something that you do not have to go to them to do . You do this within your own heart and mind . You do this between you and God . You go to God in prayer casting your cares and burdens upon Him. Then you pray for and bless that/ those person(s) daily. You may even ask for His help strength and guidance in this .

Does this mean you forget? No, although God does forget your sin as far as the east is to the west. Does this mean that we condone what was done? No, God does not condone or approve of our sins yet He forgives. I do see this as an opportunity for us to be more like Jesus. A way of demonstrating His spirit or nature here on Earth.

More than likely it will take the practice of this act of forgiving, consistently& over time, for it to become the norm and for you to begin to see the benefit in letting go.

Love/Peace/Respect

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit