Old Friend Disfellowshipped - Would Like Advice

by adelmaal 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

Just be a friend that doesn't have to "push a book"! He may be ready, if so, you will know and there is plenty of time to proseltyze your new non-faith.

carmel of the "live and let live" class

• rebel8
    rebel8

OP, In the course of researching for a book I'm writing (on emotional healing after leaving the dubs), I've learned that most people are pretty cautious about "apostate" stuff for a time after they leave...just like the other posters in this thread have said. He's been forced out of the religion. It takes a long time for the thought process to change. Right now, he probably feels like the big J is going to strike him dead at any moment; he won't want to make matters worse for himself by reading an "apostate" book.

IMO, the best approach would be to send him a short note, stating you heard about his plight and wanted to offer your support during this difficult time....if he wants to talk, give him your phone #. Then leave it up to him. I think you'll scare him off if you say or do anything against the dubs. Just be supportive. IMO, you'd need to give your name in order to offer the best type of support. If it were me getting an anonymous note, I would feel a bit creeped out with all the mystery. I personally see no harm in signing your name to your note, JMHO.

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

Carmel:

That's a great idea. Maybe I will just give him a call to see how he is doing. Let him know I heard what he is going through and I am here if he wants a friend. Then I can feel him out and I will know if I should present the book or not eventually.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit