The New Light that burned me

by czarofmischief 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Looking back, even as a youngster, my instincts were telling me that this was not the truth. I hated going to meetings, I hated being different, I wanted to play sports, be normal, etc. I was tired of being threatened, I was tired of being afraid.

I know what that feels like.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I didn't read those articles and didn't pay much attention during the meetings when they were covered, so at the time I didn't recognize what a huge change had taken place. But IMO that really was the last blow to the vitality that the JW org once had, as it seems to me (in retrospect) that the change was the New Light? kick-to-the-crotch that broke the the faithful old-timers' backs. After that all they had was "aren't we all so happy that we're JW's" fluff and "obey the F&DS" nonsense.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    " THEY made ME feel like I was the weak one for being so shocked.

Ha! Exactly. Hey, Jehovah has given us some new understanding of the term 'generation'. Forget what Webster's dictionary says. Forget that a generation is no more than a life span, because Jehovah has now made us understand that a generation can just go on and on and on, it can be stretched to time indefinite until our predictions come true, as they will eventually, wouldn't you think? Why do you have such a look of unbelief on your face, sister so and so? Are you doubting Jehovah's mouthpiece? Tell you what, we will have brother so and so do some additional study with you in order to make you spiritually stronger., What did you say sister? You don't have time left for additional study after pioneering all day and taking care of your 6 kids? Oh my, dontcha know that study comes first? Why don't you pray for some more time.

• trevor
    trevor

The Society would like its members to believe that the main reason for some leaving is that they become impatient with waiting for the promised end of this system, followed by a ?new world.? This is not the case. If someone believes that a new world is coming, then it makes little difference when it arrives.

We can all accept disappointment. What cannot be reconciled is the Society's denial that they were directly involved in the expectation that Armageddon was due to take place at any moment. This, coupled with a loss of confidence in the belief that the Society are who they claim to be, or that they are teaching ?the truth?, is the cause of many Witnesses leaving. To be a Witness one must have total faith in the Society itself.

Doubt about the Society's sincerity led me to examine their history and beliefs in a way strongly discouraged by them - with good reason.

The Watchtower Society have built an organization based on the invisible return of Christ, invisible fulfilment of prophecy upon a ?spiritual nation,? living in an invisible ?spiritual paradise.? These rewards that the members are so proud of can only be seen with the invisible ?eyes of faith.? I am left feeling like the little boy who, unable to go along with the pretence that the Emperor wore a fine suit of clothes, declared that the Emperor was as naked as the day that he was born.

• inquirer
    inquirer

I had a couple of JW incidents -- when I was very young in the 1980's up until about 1991-'92... can't remember when. But it was before "this generation 1914" thing in 1914.

I am sorry I am stupid, but I get confused by this JW dogma.... I know I should know better, but we know how illogical their arguments right? But will someone explain to me that it's no specific time period? I kinda got the idea that they still thought 1914 was a crucial date but it was for people who were living before and during this era up until 1919. Am I right?

When you talk about numbers, and then somebody does a reverse equation, by brain switches off because he thinks it's stupid. So someone tell me in plain English, Kindergarten English if you like, what they mean by THIS GENERATION now?

An outsider would think that Jehovah lies sometimes, but Jehovah says in the Scriptures that he cannon lie!

• inquirer
    inquirer

I think I have some idea, but now I need a clearer understanding.

I mean... how can "this generation" be a continous thing?

• garybuss
    garybuss

inquirer
    1914 is only relevant to the appointment doctrine now. "This generation" now refers to the contemporary generation living when Armageddon starts. If Armageddon doesn't come for 1,000 years, the generation living when it starts will be "this generation".

Did you know the Witnesses used to teach that the end of the world, the great tribulation, and Armageddon were three different things and they printed that the world ended in 1914?

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

I never really paid attention to much of the "New Light". I was just trying to survive day to day as a depressed, neurotic JW. It all didn't hit me until after we were out and I came here and heard so many points of view concerning all the changes in doctrine and the coming and going of "new light". I must have tried to block it all out while I was in.

So it wasn't really any "New Light" that burned us. Mostly the crazy rules they kept making up that we had a tough time finding in our Bibles. Also the big lack of love thing.

Cathy L.

• Noumenon
    Noumenon

Same for me Czar. The 'this generation' so-called new light was without a doubt the catalyst that got me surfing the net and searching for the real truth about the matter. I have always had a keen eye for when I'm being duped and this 'new light' smelled way fishy right from the start to me, especially as it was something that for decades the Watchtower had said was something that Jehovah himself had promised.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    "YO MOMMA DID IT WITH THE U.N.!!!" For a fancy gift and a string of pearls, and a chance to feel like all the other old religions on the block. Which makes you the spiritual SON of a whore! She did it with an organization she said she despised... and claimed that God despised... all for a library card, she says, or for something a little richer - the promise of success in the NWO???

That is some great stuff.

I tried introducing the WT humping around with the UN to my JW relatives and I almost got my ass kicked for even implying such a thing could be possible. The whole folder of paperwork I had they dismissed without even being glanced at for fear it ws demon possessed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit