Ozzie's Weekend Poll #126 (It's all about feelings!)

by ozziepost 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

11. Confused me

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Taught Me - I am a confident public speaker thanks to the dubs and I use that everyday in my business. They taught me to have a confidence in myself irregardless of my disability. They taught me the difficult task of the "cold call" in sales. I learned to read and read difficult texts at an early age. I learned to..and how to...interact with adults at an early age.

Fooled Me - I was raised in the dubs and for the early part of my life I was dedicated...a good little dub...believed it all, hook - line and sinker. I got baptised young...like 11 or 12...I don't even remember the date. Even when I started to find things that I questioned I couldn't believe it, and like a good dub I went to the elders for answers.

Failed Me - After all the hours of study, the field service, the meetings, giving talks, attending to "my priviledges", the assemblies, working at the assemblies, no college, no holidays, no dating, no outside friends, the fear....as a little kid...the fear that if I messed up that I would die....what kind of life is that for a little kid....after all that....it was just a lie

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Other (please detail)

Confused me.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

11. Co-erced me.

11. Lied to me.

11. Misled me.

11. Misrepresented themselves to me.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

failed and fooled

• alw
    alw

Being new to this site this question is quite a challenge. Forgotten the numbers but quite a few come to mind!!!

Failed me in that I thought that there was integrity and loyalty - both lacking - no loyal subject here!!!

Fooled in that I don't think I am a fool but feel very foolish to have been misled for 22 years and feel that I have wasted those good years - but negatives are destroying so lets look at the positives!!! There are none except that there are some lovely people inside just like we were being misled.

Great site and thanks for the wonderful welcome and the support that you have given our daughter over the past few years - cheers!! - Mrs alw

i may stand corrected, but i think it was an american president ,benjamin franklin??? that sums it up for me.

you can fool all the people some of the time, you can fool some of the people all the time, but you cant fool all the people all of the time , but the jws had a really good try. mr. alw

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.

Other -- Stunted me

yeah, although a lot of the others are appropriate too ... i'd say 'stunted' is the first thing that comes to mind. socially, financially, emotionally .....

its like keeping a rather large breed tropical fish .... from a tiny baby ... in a small tank. it won't grow, it'll age but it won't grow. and even if you released in into the wild, it will grow, but never to its former potential.

keeping the world at arms length is awful for a child ... of all the things that make me angry about my JW formative years, this is the one that most affects me to this very day. it's why i'm such a loner and, sometimes, a total social misfit.

yeah, i've grown. and i'm still growing, but the damage is done.

taylorS

• heatherg
    heatherg

#9 Twisted me. Will never be the same. Don't even know who or what I really could've been. hg

• blondie
    blondie

11. Knowingly lied to me and to millions

• gr8peace
    gr8peace

11. other

They robbed me. First they robbed me of my money, then they took my trust, then my faith. For a while they robbed my of self-confidence and replaced it with fear of being able to go on and raise my two children after my husband died.

But...my children and I have survived and are still intact. Now it seems like a small price to pay for mine and my childrens freedom from that cult. It took them taking my money and telling me God would kill me and my children if I tried to take them to court to open my eyes.

Dyan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit