Getting your Congregation Record Destroyed

by rebel8 13 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

A while back, there was a discussion about DFing and asking the elders to remove records of yourself ever having been a jw, publisher records, etc. I responded that I didn?t believe there was a legal basis to force the records to be removed. I can't find the thread and don't remember who started it....whoever you are, here's some interesting info for you!

It does appear, though, that there is a rule made by the wts that allows records to be removed upon request. Last night, I came across the following quote in the elders? handbook (Pay Attention to Yourselves and to All the Flock, pg. 102):

If a baptized person insists that he does not want to be part of the congregation and requests that his name be removed from all our records, we should comply with his request. Since he takes such an adamant position, encourage him to put his request in writing. If he refuses to do this but states resolutely before witnesses his decision to disassociate himself and not be known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, the witnesses to his statement would be asked to put this in writing and sign it.

In all cases of disassociation, a committee would consider the evidence regarding the matter. If the person has definitely terminated his status as a member of the congregation, the elders will make a brief announcement of his disassociation. (w86 10/15 p. 31 ) The Society should be notified using the S-77 and S-79 forms. He would be viewed as one who has disassociated himself.
  • upside/down
    upside/down

Where is the "scriptural" basis for this?

Why can't I just "quit", no fanfare, no announcements, no "demonizing" of me... just let me leave. What the HELL, is this the theocratic Mafia?

Why do I feel like a "theocratic hit" is gonna be put out on me if I "officially" quit?

I haven't done anything wrong I just don't want to "play" with them anymore. Funny when I became a Dub they told me that I HAD to go and formally tell the Catholic Church that I no longer was a Catholic and wanted to be removed from their records. One phone call to my lifelong parish and it was done- no fanfare, no shunning- as a matter of fact they said the door is always open and I'm forever welcome.

Explain that!

u/d

• Quotes
    Quotes

There is another way, that permits exit w/o shunning.

# Move to another city (preferably across country). Note: you don't have to actually move, just pretend you are moving there. This is part of the cover story. It MIGHT be nec. to move across town.

# Obtain the assistance of a former JW in that other city.

# Give the elders in your old hall the name/address/phone number of the former JW. Tell them he is your new PRESIDING OVERSEER

# Your old hall will contact your pseudo-PO and arrange to send to him your Publisher's Record (tm) card.

# Your old hall no longer has your cards, thinking they are at the new hall. Your pseudo-PO/accomplice forwards the cards to you or destroys them, you choice.

# You are now officially "out of the system".

This might sound crazy, but I am aware of a case where it worked properly.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Heh!

Write to the JC and quote from the Pay Attention book.

That will make their bottoms tweak to know that you have access to that book!

Englishman.

• DHL
    DHL
    Why can't I just "quit", no fanfare, no announcements, no "demonizing" of me... just let me leave. What the HELL, is this the theocratic Mafia?

Why do I feel like a "theocratic hit" is gonna be put out on me if I "officially" quit?

u/d

Who said one has to play by their rules? We make our own ones and leave these folks breathless!

• rebel8
    rebel8

upside/down,

But I was told by my RC church that they do not remove the records, they simply take you off the list of parishoners...2 very different things. Baptism records and so forth are not removed. Anyone is legally entitled to create records about someone else and keep them; you can't force someone else to destroy records about you.

That's why I was surprised the jws would be willing to remove all the records. There was a poster on the last thread that said he wanted to have the publisher records destroyed so there would be no record he had ever belonged to the jws. If that's important to him, at least he is afforded the opportunity to have the records destroyed.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

For a while after exiting, I felt a need to see my records destroyed. I know there is nothing in there that I am afraid of - I guess I just felt a need to 'take my power back'. I have now changed my mind. If the records are handled as i think they usually are, my records will just gather dust in the back of some file cabinet and most likely never be seen again. So I guess I will let them rest in peace!

But on the other hand - I am tempted to do as you stated Quotes - just to see if I can get the last laugh!

Just my opinion

Jeff

• inquirer
    inquirer

rebel8, I think you are referring to me. I had a lot of "record topics" to start with.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/83574/1.ashx

• blondie
    blondie

How does the Data Protection Act in the UK apply to this situation?

• willyloman
    willyloman

Quotes: Your several-step exit program might still work but they have changed the procedure. Anyone using this will could run into a problem.

The process now: It's the SECRETARY who is the operative person. You get his name, number, address, and take it to the new congo and THEY write or phone your old sec'y for your cards and a letter of introduction. It used to be the other way around, as you outlined above. They changed this a number of years ago because too many cards were being "lost" when publishers said, "Oh, why don't I just take them with me and give them to the new congregation?"

So that's the official process, but in practice the lines are often blurred, especially if you move within the same circuit where elders know each other. In that case, your secretary might say, "Oh, you don't need to go through all that; I'll just call what's his name."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit