Elders disfellowship my cousin

by YellowLab 40 Replies latest jw friends

• YellowLab
    YellowLab

Just a little background, my cousin is 38 and hasn't attended meetings for nearly 20 years. She was disfellowshipped back in the mid-80's for fornication but had been reinstated sometime later.

Two weeks ago, the Witnesses came a knocking on her door, someone she knew, encouraging her to come back to the meetings since she hasn't gone for 15 years. Then, a week later, another elder and the circuit overseer came knocking for the same reason, so she decided to go to the Thursday night meeting. Then on Sunday, she went for the talk, and was told she had an elder's meeting at 12:30 that afternoon. After just two weeks and 1 1/2 meetings, they announced that she was disfellowshipped, mainly for living with a worldly guy and also because she smokes. She told them she would quit and would get married, but it didn't matter. They said that even if she did not smoked and was married, they would still disfellowship her for living 19 1/2 years in sin! She was shocked this was her punishment for trying to go back... no encouragement, just disfellowshipping! What really kills her is her sister-in-law's teenage niece, who is also a Witness, recently went out and got drunk, had sex and got pregnant, and she only got reproved by the elders. Yet 20 years ago when my cousin committed fornication and didn't get pregnant, she cried and was truly repentant, and they disfellowshipped her anyway.

What a bunch of crap! The elders totally set her up to be disfellowshipped. She said if she knew this was going to happen, she never would have answered the door when they called. Now she is shunned by members of the family. I can't believe what a bunch of sneaky backstabbers the elders are and the tactics they pull to turn someone in.

YellowLab

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

It's so ridiculous! The elders and their insensitivity and also that family who has associated with her (knowing she was not living according to their teachings) could all of a sudden turn on her simply because some elders made a stupid announcement. You tell me... What's changed? Nothing! She's still the same person they loved and yet now they have nothing to do with her. It's a twisted religion...

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Thats so Sad! Thats all they care about. Sorry she has to go through that.

Brooke

• Emma
    Emma

This is the type of thing the public needs to know about and why I speak up when I hear of someone who may be studying. I tell everyone where I work what it's like to be associated with the wts.

Since she didn't claim to be a witless for 20 years, I wonder if she has any legal recourse.

I could just spit.

Emma, of the how could I be more disgusted class

• Odrade
    Odrade

I've heard and seen this kind of stuff before. Someone doesn't attend for years, they come to one meeting and BAM! disfellowshipped. I remember one case in particular. I asked about it and was told "as long as they were completely outside of the Org, they were subject to Satan's world. Once they returned to the Kingdom Hall, even for one visit, they were subject to God's laws, so they were disfellowshipped."

Nice explanation, huh? It's certainly not official, but seems pretty typical.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I think we should all take heed. Probably if she had never presented herself to the KH , they would have left her in peace. I have been away for some time now, except for a occ memorial. I am not doing anything (like smoking) that they could so easily identify, but I am still not going to let them in my door.

weds

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

The longest I have heard them coming after someone was 10 years......but 20? That is longest I have heard of. What a bunch of pricks.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have to say that this experience flies contrary to all the instruction and the experiences that i had when dealing with cases as an elder. I can think of a couple of people who in unconnected cases came back in the way that you describe. They were treated as "Lost sheep that had been found" ..They were given time to "Put their lives in order" and we did not look back at what had happened in the intervening years.

Have times changed? Is the organisation so different in Wisconsin? Or could there be a little more to this story that we do not know??

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

Personally, I think the "organization" is completely disorganized from one congregation to the next. Just as the matters published in the literature are subject to personal interpretation, speculation and opinion so are the judicial committee decisions. I have been in various congregations. Some of them had awful elder bodies and others were much more merciful. I think it all just depends on how passive agressive, controlling or demented the PO or other elders in positions of power are in that particular congregation.

The Society interprets the scriptures and then the elders interpret the Society. In the end it's madness.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Bluesbrother

I was thinking much the same thing.The official line is that faders who dont associate with the JW,s or go to Meetings cant be touched?

Would 1 and a half Meetings constitute a disfellowshipping?

Or maybe new policies are in effect?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit