Publisher Numbers

by geevee 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

IP_SEC: So sword, riddle me this Is growth a proof of jehovahs favor? What then is decline?

Numbers can be very deceiving. For example, the US shows a 0% increase nationally, but the congregation I am currently attending was formed this past September because of the increase. In fact, in our small city there were 4 congregations in 1998, there are now 9 congregations. So at least in my part of the US there is tremendous growth. Each one of us will see a different thing in the numbers published. It's a "half glass full" or "half glass empty" situation. I can see Jehovah's blessing in my life and our congregation. I do not think that the work will increase at those rates in our city since the territory assigned to each congregation has been reduced significantly because of the new formed congregations. See, you have to see the positive instead of all the negativity.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Again you prove a valuable point. Thanks SOJ!! :)

0% increase yet people are still coming in. That means people are leaving as fast as new ones are coming in. An objective look at the numbers also shows that ppl are coming in at a slower rate too.

In 2004 USA netted 4573 new publishers over 2003, (no telling how many of these new were old pubs reactivated or dub kids)

In 2003 USA netted 15482 new publishers over 2002

In 2002 USA netted 27065 new publishers over 2001. The nature of evangalism means that the growth should be upward geometrically. New publishers make new publishers. This aint happening.

Do you not see the great decline every year? with 47120 new publishers between 2002 and 04 we should be growing like gang busters. Where is the positive spin in this? Instead our net growth has only been 20005 in those years. What happened to the other 27115 publishers?

Yes SOJ I'm sure someone can put a positive or negative spin on anything. But being positive in the face of such negative growth is like an ostrich (no offense candi) sticking its head in the sand.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

An important point that SOJ failed to include is what part of the country he is in. If he is in, for example, a sunbelt area the growth is there but it is coming from fellow witnesses moving in to the area instead of coming from interest in the territory. That is not growth, just a redistribution. Which is why you need to look at overall statistics instead of regional. Bottom line, the growing days are over.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

NewYork44M you are correct.

SOJ doesn't tell us where he is from, but likely the increase is due to redistribution. There is a small town close to where my JW family lives in the South U.S. The town has grown exponentially in recent times due to retired people moving to the area. Actually it sounds a lot like where SOJ is, 4 congregations in 1998 up to 9 congregations presently. They just built a new KH a few weeks ago.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

On a totally unrelated topic. I just noticed I passed the 3 year mark of bing on JWD. I guess that would make me 3 years older.

Newyork47m

• acsot
    acsot

And don't forget that some (or many) of those publishers aren't really publishing, as in their service reports are bogus, just a way of messing with Brooklyn's braindead. Not that I'm talking about myself, of course.

So the real numbers are much lower.

• avengers
    avengers
    I wish! I really do wish - somehow i don't think it'll happen. mrs O and I are due in a Pacific area nation this year, we're also committed to work in Asia, so i think it's going to be difficult but.......you never know. I really miss your neck of the woods, avengers!

Say next year?

Cheers, Ozzie

If that includes the NW area of the U.S. then make sure to let me know. I'll be in that area this summer.

Andy

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    the NW area of the U.S

'fraid not. Funny thing is, Mrs O keeps badgering me about getting there - there's the mountains, Mulan and Big Red and Princess and Steve and.....so much!

We have so much on this year but we really must....while we can and before we die!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• abbagail
    abbagail

Where does the bible say we should expect the closness of the end to be a factor in slowing down? Doesnt it say he will speed it up?

For another opinion entirely, the "speed it up" scripture at Isa. 60:22 is being applied erroneously TO the JWs BY the JWs. This is known as "Replacement Theology" (adopted by the WT and many other denominations: http://www.watch.org/showprint.php3?idx=64261&mcat=1&rtn=/index.html ). Isa 60:22 actually is a scripture about literal Israel so has nothing to do with growth or lack of growth of the JWs. FWIW.

As for growth/numbers of JWs and/or any other Christian group and "the end," I've noticed many evangelical churches feel they have to "convert the whole world" and/or have "huge revivals" before 'the end can come,' etc. I'm not so sure that is what is to be expected since Jesus merely said the nations should receive a "witness" before the end comes, not necessarily huge conversions. ???
    /ag

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit