Mass. High Court Makes Landmark Child Abuse Ruling--JW

by blondie 39 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• minimus
    minimus

I have given Public Talks in that Hall in the past. I wonder if these elders know that THEY will be held responsible UNLESS they show that the Society is somewhat responsible for these things happening. If the elders refuse to go against "Jehovah's Organization" (which I think they will not do), they will be S C R E W E D.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    They will also rely on the lawyers for the Watchtower so they do not have to pay for their own legal counsel - a serious mistake in my opinion since the Watchtower lawyers will hang the elders before the Corporation if push comes to shove

As the decision spreads from one state to another over the next few years, would this not mean that more and more local congregations (i.e., elders) would be held responsible? Advance 10 years, what effect would this have on congregations?

If the litigation follows a similar path that the Catholic church's did, it will be some time for the trials and appeals to be heard, but at some point will not dozens (if not hundreds) of elders be hung out to dry by the Society? And then, at that point, what effect does this have on the entire organization? By that I mean what effect does seeing the Society throw away that many elders/congregations have on the rest of the elders/congregations?

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

My face is stuck!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Isn't this WONDERFUL news?

Wouldn't the BOE get notification that they are going to be responsible for the fallout rather than the Society? Wouldn't they be forced to do some TALL thinking about where they stand in view of all this?

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Annie.......who's never made a post full of all questions before!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Back in the mid 1990's When I was an MS I remember being in an Elder's/MS's meeting where they read a letter that basically said that legally the elders were on their own if they were sued. The general consensus was that the elders would be more than willing to "fall on their sword" for the organization.

JWs have a martyr complex and nothing boosts a JWs standing in the organization more than being "persecuted" for the organization.

Sure, there will be many JWs who will refuse to take on such a responsibility, and this will certainly hurt the organization a lot, but there will always those Die-Hard elders who are more than willing to sacrifice everything to save the organization.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    Hawk: They really won't have a clue that they could lose their house and other assets all because they followed the Watchtower's policy to ensure they would fail to notify the authorities and congregations of this dude's background.

You have a valid point here. But it won't take but a few martyrs to have the elders running for cover. Also this may have a marked effect on the "shepherding" style... "Please complete this hold harmless agreement and then we can meet..."

• Gerard
    Gerard
    Showing (and not just stating) the direct connection will make the boys in Krooklyn "vicarously libel" for any tort that individual elders or their congregation did .

It is true this is huge. But the WT saw it comming long ago and has re-structured itself by separating into different entities with the hopes of cloaking their cash-cow.

So, yes, the Ivory Tower will take a hit, but will not even come close to the hit ($) taken by the Catholic church for the same sex crimes.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

This could be just what the UK needs too in order to open up the proverbial floodgates; fantastic...thanks for letting us know blondie.

G

• detective
    detective

Hmmm. Looks like my home state "don't play that" when it comes to clergy abuse in any form.

I forwarded the article to my JW amigo. Pretty much got the same old line about how there are always a few bad seeds... etc. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

good news! Very good news!

• Special K
    Special K

In Blondie's words:

It removes the magic "clergy" barrier that prevents the elders from being legally responsible for their actions.

This was a wonderful verdict. Great news on this one. Let's hope this begins to cascades like dominoes, then.

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit