BSOs on the Daniel book

by IP_SEC 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

So here comes PAtDP very soon. It's not as bad as IPaLfatN I & II, but still its based on the idea of 607 and 1914.

How have any of you ex or current book study overseers handled this problem. I'd like not to conduct but thats not really an option. Just ask the questions and let ppl lie to themselves? Kind of a quandry. Does the Society make us study these lumps of runny crap just to weed out the disloyal? Hmmm.

IPSec

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I am curious about this as well.

Last night I conducted and I felt like such a turd - even though it was mostly harmless information that night.

Maybe we need to come up with a way to get people to go get research on 607 or something without us actually saying anything? Has anyone tried this in the past?

Get other people to bring it up. . .

-thinkisee

• willyloman
    willyloman

When I conducted this turkey last time around, I researched the history and brought in a lot of interesting material that did not relate to 1914 or the FDS. That means we had a fairly interesting study every OTHER week, because as you know the pattern for this book is: first half of chapter = history of Jewish people; second half = unsubstantiated "fulfillment" BS relating to modern times.

On the alternate weeks, I would ask everyone to look up several scriptures I had researched that "supported" the WTS' interpretation, or I would share some paragraphs from an older publication which commented on the subject at hand; often these would reveal how flimsy their thinking was, or how much it had changed. Of course, I did not call this to mind; I felt I was planting seeds. This strategy came with an added bonus: often we would spend so much time reading related material and commenting on it that we would be down to only a few minutes left in the hour, in which case I would just the questions on the remaining paragraphs without having them read. A few times, I stuck my neck out ended the study a few paragraphs short of the end, saying, "We're out of time, look at that. Well, no doubt you all read the material previously. Hasn't this been a great study?" No one ever argued with me.

In the end, this process was not productive and I grew weary and realized the problems were systemic and this thing could not be fixed. I left as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    In the end, this process was not productive and I grew weary and realized the problems were systemic and this thing could not be fixed. I left as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

The WT is like the Titanic. They are headed for the same sort of end (soon I hope) and no one will steer them away from it.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

PAtDP very soon. It's not as bad as IPaLfatN I & II,

Er,forgive my ignorance ,but what do those letters stand for ?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

My heart bleeds for those on this forum that still have to attend the meetings, and then I find out some of you CONDUCT? Oh man, I can't imagine what you poor guys go through. How often have you almost said, "Now, take this next paragraph for what it's worth" or "Personally, I take a few grains of salt with this next paragraph." The temptation would just be too great!

Dave

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Er,forgive my ignorance ,but what do those letters stand for ?

Pay attention to Daniels prophecy, Isiahs prophecy a light for all mankind I and II. Sorry I hit the "n" key instead of m in the original post.

IPSec

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

How can you conduct a study knowing what you know? I would go insane.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Oh man, I can't imagine what you poor guys go through.

Thanks AA, it do sux.

Well imagine you want to puke right now thats how I feel.. I do try to make some comments to make people think, but not too overtly.

IPSec

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Many have tried to change the organization from the inside but come to recognize that unless they can offer the promises that the WT does (Be a JW and live forever) noone is really listening. The thinking is so programmed that any attempt to introduce material outside that outlined in the book invokes suspicion. I also conducted and was councelled to stick to the printed material when some complained about my reading verses not cited. At the time I was a dyed in the wool JW trying to excite the group. I was rewarded by being disciplined for making some uncomfortable.

To say nothing about the moral dilema of endorsing and supporting an organization that uses deception and unethical controls. How much better you would feel if you just requested to not conduct any more. If you wanted, you could make a memorable last meeting by explaining yourself ,but if you have family involved most of us respect a diplomatic withdrawl.

Truly what would make a man stoop to such dishonesty? Desire to be admired?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit