JWs and Clothing

by the_classicist 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Where I live, its not usual for people to "dress up," especially business people and executives, you are more likely to see them with a button up shirt, khakis, and one of those fleece vests on. So, on the whole, JWs look very out of place wearing their cheap suits (though a few elders didn't wear cheap suits and they made that known, "look at this, I got a spot on my new $200 designer shirt" -- really, something like this happened).

But what I did notice is that, in my area, dressing guidelines usually weren't followed, or enforced for that matter, for good looking women. Except for married women, in which case they immediately donned the burkha .

Assembly times was also the time in which all modesty left for most good looking girls. I remember one time at this assembly, I saw the most beautiful redhead you've ever seen; and let me tell you, she wore the epitomy of the "sexy, little black dress."

Anyone else notice this, or am I just a teenager who's off his rocker (that term's more meaningful for a senior citizen, though)?

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

It's ridiculous. You turn what's supposed to be a religious convention into a once-a-year chance for singles to meet, and of course you're going to get things like "the little black dress." In my experience, sisters as a whole really got off the hook when it came to dress and grooming. I was marked for refusing to shave my sideburns a quarter of an inch, while my cousin had a platinum-blonde pixie cut and wore these gothic-looking finger-length rings and black mascara. She wore a bikini when she was baptized, too, and do you think anything was ever said to her? No!

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

yea we all love convention-sluts. it's a JW tradition at copps colliseum in hamilton, ON. the best is when ur hitting on a girl and the gay bethelite attendant tells you to sit down. haha this year im making my own attendant badges!!!

bethel

• carefully faded
    carefully faded
    In my experience, sisters as a whole really got off the hook when it came to dress and grooming.

MungoBaobab, I have to disagree with your statement that sisters had it easier - dress wise. Try wearing pantyhose during a heat-wave, skirts/dresses in cold weather (your legs freeze), and don't even mention shoes for field service (if they were comfortable, they usually looked rediculous with a skirt/dress - if they looked good with your skirt/dress, they usually wern't comfortable).

And, in my opinion, being told that you HAVE to wear a skirt or dress is absolutely demeaning! I almost never wear skirts now - I can't wear them without feeling uncomfortable.

Am I the only person feeling this way?

- CF

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I never got reproved or counselled on wearing anything that went against regulations (probably because I was generally quite conservative) but there were a few times when people complained to my mother and she then spoke to me about being careful not to stumble others ( at one point I had taken to wearing men's ties with my buttondown shirts, tailored jackets and skirts and topping it off with a corduroy driving cap).

But I did tend to notice that younger females were allowed a little more leeway in how they dressed (maybe because the elders are all male and like to take a little peek now and then?).

I also hated wearing dresses-on-demand in all kinds of weather and rarely wear one now unless it is totally hippy trippy or elegantly slinky...

~Merry

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Never wore heels, or "dressed for work in an office" as recommended. My approach was, if I was going to wear a dress, then it would be comfortable. So, in warm weather, a sun dress, or something else cotton and breathable, and Dr. Scholls or other sandals.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I agree and disagree, but it depends on the area. Here in Halifax, Mrs. Kwin was informed that her skirt was too short and therefore inappropriate. Thanks for checking out my wife Br. Perv.

Kwin

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Never wore heels, or "dressed for work in an office" as recommended

Wifey is an office manager. She wears slacks every day to work.

But that argument never would cut any mustard with the elders at the hall when we were in the organization. I never see business people that dress like witnesses, except it seems some lawyers. Since it is a 'legalistic theocracy' .... I guess the dress code is correct.

So at the big "A", if God judges based on how we dressed, does that mean that only lawyers and witnesses will remain? I guess that would be fitting! [No offense to lawyers on this board intended - we still love you guys]

Just my opinion

Jeff

• prophecor
    prophecor

So was it just me, or does everybody at the Memorial get to participate in the near to identical pomp and pagentry that the world and Christendom presents during the Easter Celebration? The fancy hats, new clothes, dresses and suits and what not.

Somethings I guess we just gotta' hold on to, even if we try to deny that they have no connection to our past, or our desires.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

As soon as we were old enough my buudy and I started working at the assemblies...first in the kitchen and then as attendants so we could hang out and watch all the girls in the inappropriate clothes. It was the age of disco and big hair and the dub girls usually wore too much make up since they didn't really have a lot of makeover experience.

I think that is why I still have a soft spot for trashy women. (and I mean trashy in only the best of terms)

As an ex-dub guy...now that I am out...if I never see a plaid or gross colored polyester suit again in my life it will be too soon. I still have to "dress" when I am working but now it is much more stylish and decent quality. "clothes make the man" as they say.

RandyW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit