Help me prove to my bf that defellowshipping happens

by MM090503 39 Replies latest social relationships

• MM090503
    MM090503

Hi all.

Many of you have probably seen my posts on here before, but if you haven't let me reinterate my story in short for you.

I am currently dating a wonderful guy, but the problem is he has been considering becoming a JW. He has studdied with them for about a year. Because of me has agreed to do some religion searching and figure out what he really believes. This has been a tough struggle for me, but I love him and want to continue to stick with it.

My latest situation is that he does not believe disfellowshipping happens within the JW's. I want to be able to show him this does happen. If you can share your stories about d'fed. I want to show him that it does happen and he wants the proof. I figured this would be the best place for him to see the proof.

Thank you so much. Meg

• Purza
    Purza

You ask any JW on the street and they will tell you DFing is for real. And they will justify it by saying that someone is being shunned to "help" him or her.

I was DF'd when I was 19 and reinstated a year or so later. I am inactive now and STILL shunned by my parents. JWs will "mark" those who are weak and shun them as well. There are many examples on this site. Encourage him to look at this site and see for himself the pain and grief one goes through for once being a JW.

Purza

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Tell him to ask the elders if he could read their copy of the "Pay Attention" book for elders. If they ask for a reason, he should answer that, before he gets baptized, he wants to know what his rights are in case he should ever be summoned to a judicial committee. He'll discover that he cannot have a lawyer, witness, or recording device when he is before one of their kangaroo courts. They don't tell you that before you're baptized. They also won't tell you that they'll do everything possible to destroy a persons family if someone decides to leave for some reason.

I bet they don't let him see the book.

Walter

• Jez
    Jez

Send him to silentlambs.com or freeminds.org to read ppl's df'ing stories. Tell him to check out the women's section there as well (freeminds.org).

Print off all the df'ing stories you find at the site (example below) and give them to him.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/85621/1.ashx

and check out Trevor's post in the following thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/85636/1.ashx

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Have him go straight to the horse's mouth. Call the Watchtower in New York and chat with them about it: 718-560-5000

He probably won't accept any stories coming off this board anyway, apostates are all liars. ;-)

Dave

• Gopher
    Gopher

Speaking as one who is currently being shunned by parents and a grandmother, I can say from personal experience that this definitely happens.

If you do a Yahoo search on the word "disfellowshipping", 7 of the first 10 matches refer to Jehovah's Witnesses.

If someone doesn't trust the Internet, they can go to the "Watchtower Publications Index" located in the library at each Kingdom Hall, and find references to the topic of disfellowshipping.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

I too am being shunned because I Dissassociated myself. All I did was tell them that while I still believed in God, I no longer believed in the teachings of their publishing corporation. Here is a quote directly from one of their "official" websites...Emphasis (yellow) and commentary (red) added by me.

Do you shun former members?

Those who become inactive in the congregation, perhaps even drifting away from association with fellow believers, are not shunned. In fact, special effort is made to reach out to them and rekindle their spiritual interest.**( and if you refuse to return to being active...then they shun you too) If, however, someone unrepentantly practices serious sins, such as drunkeness, stealing or adultery, he will be disfellowshipped and such an individual is avoided by former fellow-worshipers. Every effort is made to help wrongdoers. But if they are unrepentant, the congregation needs to be protected from their influence. The Bible clearly states: 'Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.' (1 Corinthians 5:13) Those who formally say they do not want to be part of the organization any more are also avoided. What of a man who is disfellowshipped but whose wife and children are still Jehovah's Witnesses? The spiritual ties he had with his family change, but blood ties remain. The marriage relationship and normal family affections and dealings can continue. As for disfellowshipped relatives not living in the same household, Jehovah's Witnesses apply the Bible's counsel: "Quit mixing with them." (1 Corinthians 5:11) Disfellowshipped individuals may continue to attend religious services and, if they wish, they may receive spiritual counsel from the elders with a view to their being restored. They are always welcome to return to the faith if they reject the improper course of conduct for which they were disfellowshipped.

Here is the link so he can read it for himself.... www.jw-media.org/beliefs/beliefsfaq.htm

RandyW

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If he is still studying then he may not have been offered yet a copy of "Organised to Accomplish Our Ministry" in my day it was given once a person had become a "Publisher", ie went out with them on door to door ministry. But the book is no secret so get him to check out pages 145 - 149 (My copy is dated the 1989 version but I do not think it has changed much) that section explains the basic principle .

I was never disfellowshipped but I sat on lots of committees over the years when I served as an elder. We heard the cases, considered our verdict then pronounced the person disfellowshipped and everyone was expected to respect that decision and shun the person . Only after a prolonged period of time would we hear an official request to re instate that person IF they were judged repentant.

Makes me sad nowadays that I partook in such actions that must have caused so much heartbreak. He is lucky to have you helping him see sense

• Elsewhere
  • czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

It's real. I was disfellowshipped and the process of reinstatement was derailed by pompous, grandstanding elders refusing to either hand over jurisdiction to the congregation I was attending (for a year!) or to readmit me on their own. In fact, I wrote to them twice, trying to get them to meet with me and consider my application for reinstatement, and they never contacted me in return. The local elders had to contact them, and basically force them to meet with me. And then the elder body denied my reinstatement application anyway. They were horrible, stupid men, and it is indicative of the rot that is festering in that religion that they had so much power over me, my actions, my social life, and my future.

I just re-read that paragraph and realize I'd better put it all in chronological order for somebody who wasn't there, for clarity's sake and to EMPHASIZE THE POINT that Disfellowshipping is a real evil.

August 1998 - I move to Pitt Greensburg, PA, to finish my degree. I attend the Jeanette Congregation for over a year, auxiliary pioneering on occasion, and being offered certain privileges like microphone handling and counter work with the magazines.

November 1999 - Having never missed a meeting, or failed to comment or prepare for a study... I still run into spiritual "difficulties" with a young lady. My actions lead me to confess my guilty conscience (not even anything really bad, per se) to an elder I trusted. He puts together a judicial committee, and they meet with me. On their advice, I break off my relationship with the young lady. Her subsequent actions lead me to believe that breaking her heart was a bigger sin than anything I had done with her. In any case, I am privately reproved and denied the "privilege" of commenting at meetings. My study declines sharply at this point. What the hell is the point of underlining the paragraphs if I can't comment?

December 1999 - Drunk Glory Evening. Heh heh heh. However, my guilt for this event again led me to confess and seek help with my wayward libido. They meet with me, and decide to postpone decision until I return from winter break.

January 2000 - I have made changes. I was going to commute from home, so as to avoid the association that led me into so much trouble - a commute of 37 miles each way! These were the lengths I was prepared to go to in order to "demonstrate repentance". Stupid of me, really, in retrospect. January 19, 2000, the true New Millenium begins with my disfellowshipping. I finish out the term in a depressed, panicky haze. I try to attend meetings, but without a car (and nobody willing to risk contamination by picking me up) I put it on hold and focus on my studies. Oddly, my grades are the highest they've ever been.

May 2000 - I graduate and move home. I get an internship at the Pittsburgh Public Theater, working in the Education and Outreach department. My confused stance regarding issues as political neutrality, blood, etc. leads to ostracism at work. I am used to being rejected by the world, but what hurts more is the fact that my home congregation, the place I grew up, the place full of people I loved and thought loved me - won't even acknowledge me. I relentlessly attend meetings, study for them, staying in the back.

September 2000 - It being the custom, I am told, for elder bodies to reach out to those disfellowshipped and seek to help them towards reinstatement, I write a letter to the Jeanette congregation asking to meet with them. I never get a reply.

November 2000 - the local elder body, impressed with my attendance and motivated by genuine affection for me, ask me to write to Jeanette once again, seeking a reinstatement hearing. They tell me that it is traditional to let the disfellowshipping commitee handle reinstatements wherever possible. Since Jeanette is only 37 miles away, it seems that they should hear me out. They do not reply to my letter.

February 2001 - the local body contacts the Jeanette congregation and applies pressure to meet with me. We schedule a meeting. I leave work early, wear a suit, and carry my Bible. The Jeanette elders are wearing casual clothing and have to borrow my Bible in order to read me a scripture. There is no prayer offered. They deny my reinstatement. From this point on, my efforts are greatly reduced. I am too tired to keep going to meetings. It is interesting to note that the meetings actually become physically painful for me after this. It is an effect that recurs in many disfellowshipped ones. I interpret this as being God's Holy Spirit condemning me. (I later put quite a different interpretation on my physical rejection of the meetings).

After a summer in Oklahoma, I return and move in with my girlfriend, intermittently attending meetings, but always running into the physical agony that makes listening to the talks completely impossible.

I take a night shift job at a local hospital. Between baths and crises, I can surf the web. I land here. I learn the troof about the truth and find my spiritual center. From start to finish, my disfellowshipping had complete and utter control over me for about 2 and 1/2 years, during which at any point I would have returned had I been offered the opportunity. I was not.

Now that I no longer believe, I have no problems confronting JW's I meet, and roundly condemning anyone who says that they are God's chosen people (like e-watchman). They are not. They do not have the truth, and only a few evil people can make it incredibly difficult for honest hearted ones.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit