Why do elders come unnanounced.......

by ISP 33 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Yeah, like these guys never make appointments. Just stroll up when it suits them and not you. Is it ignorance or simply a matter of discourtesy? It happened to me when I was cleaning my car. Like that is way intrusive, you know. I had the sponge out and the gloves on and stuff , was talking to one of the neighbours and the guys with shades and suits come round ala Matrix. Most inconvenient and wanted to talk bible stuff to me. Huh.

ISP

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

I would have pointedly told them that it is common courtesy to call first before showing up at someone's home and that they will have to make an appointment with me for a more convenient time! Then, when they asked when it is convenient, I would have told them, "Sorry, I'm booked up for the next 20 years!"

RCat

• AGuest
    AGuest

It's called a 'sneak attack', ISP (may you have peace)... and separate from any usual sport or other 'game' where it is commonly used, it is the practice of 'sneaky' people. And elders are TAUGHT... in fact, sometimes REQUIRED... to be 'sneaky'.

Why? Think motive, dear one. Think 'trap'. TRUE servants of God are neither sneaky or deceitful, and they don't go around trying to lay traps and 'catch' people. Because LOVE... 'believes ALL things'.

These 'wise guys', however, know that if they informed you prior to their arrival, you would have time to either refuse the visit... or prepare. Can't have either of those happening, can we?

They're not rude, dear one... they're sneaky. Okay, sneak is rude... Unfortunately, most of them probably would NOT be sneaky on their own... but, well, what do you expect... their 'leaders' are sneaky.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Last year two elders were driving along the same road I was. I happened to have my wife, her sister and her brother in the car with me. We kept going along, and getting nearer to my house, when my wife goes, "Oh man, you think they are coming to our house?"

Sure enough, I pulled into my driveway and they pull in right behind me. Under the pretense of inviting me to the Memorial, they made their way into my home. Later in the cordial discussion the real reason for their uninvited visit was made manifest: I was thereby summoned before a judicial committee on the basis of an accusation that I had been associating with a disfellowshipped person.

One of those elders had contacted me years prior because of my not having attended meetings for some time. He insisted that he would only visit me with another elder present. The other elder had encouraged my wife to not spend time at home but only spend nights here as a precaution against being infected with my apostate ideas. I had counted both of those men as close friends. Oh well. I guess some imagined invisible man in the sky is a lot more important than flesh and blood Cygnus. :)

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

ISP;

It's a good time for them is right. The seasoned elders would try to catch you off guard, especially if you were slacking off (or is that wack... off, same thing I guess ) to set all straight.
    What a waste of time, most will only show up when you don't want them and have a superior / condescending attitude. As soon as they hear something with even a whiff of apostasy (they are the judges) you are out. For some that can be a good thing and not linger on for years and believe the lie.

HCM

• ISP
    ISP
    Then, when they asked when it is convenient, I would have told them, "Sorry, I'm booked up for the next 20 years!"

No, no, Rcat.......what you say is, of course I will see you........ Sometime REAL SOON, definitely in YOUR LIFETIME, .......ANY TIME NOW!

ISP

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

ROFL, ISP. Right-o!

RCat

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Jst2laws

I sympathize with your reluctance to deal with them. At this point I to would dread seeing them pull up in front of my home. I’m not spiritually sick, I don’t mind missing meeting, and the only regularity I’m concerned with is none of their business.

But 6 months ago I too was alert to finding friends I was concerned about whenever I could come across them. There are some among those men who have good motives. Those might be dealt with by a firm and confident “I’m OK! And please don’t worry about me. I want to be left alone now.”

On the other hand, if they suspect you are disloyal, look out. The Gestapo type often volunteer and will seek you out like a hungry hound on a rabbit’s trail. Still no need to be belligerent, but time to take charge.
    Just remember, not every one of these guys is out to harm, but most may be dangerous.

Jst2laws

• Francois
    Francois

And in the end, this technique to which you refer discloses a total, complete disrespect for the recipient of these elder's "visits".

Franc

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Witnesses are taught from the beginning of their JW existence to be rude in a very similar manner – the house-to-house work. For most householders the time of the Witness call is not convenient. So, all of us, as former JWs have been rude to the general public.

Same goes for the “shepherding work.” A simple phone call to schedule a mutually convenient time would be the gentlemanly thing to do. Similarly, COs (who set the example for elders) rarely call “weak” or inactive JWs ahead of time to schedule an appointment during their visit to “encourage” such ones. They just show up, or at least that was my experience in the old days of my JWism.

Regards,

Sam Beli

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit