Why do elders come unnanounced.......

by ISP 33 Replies latest jw friends

• individual
    individual

ISP

When we first started to have doubts an elder stopped me in the street and told me he would like to pop around and have a friendly chat. I foolishly agreed ,thinking he was being sincere, and sure enough two of them arrived one evening soon after. Their friendly chat turned into an ugly inquisition with accusations flung at us with one elder shouting at us and threatening a judicial committee or worse. The other elder was trying to restrain him as his anger was getting to him.The angry elder had, and still has, a reputation for liking power. I responded to his wagging finger by saying that since he was in my home he had no right to threaten me. He replied that as an elder he had every right and since we were baptised this gave him the authority over us. My wife and I both soon ended up before a judicial comitee.
    They did not anwser any of our doubts. All they wanted was for us to agree to submit completly to their authority. The elders angry outbursts were a symptom of the lack of love in the congregation and showed that the elders motives were based more on his love of power than anything else. He actually told my wife that if she cried it would show a heart of repentance. We did not stay in the truth very long after this friendly chat. This lack of love was one of the reasons that led to my wife handing in her letter of disassociation.
    So beware of friendly chats with elders.

• JT
    JT

disengaged says

Another reason they come announced is that they sometimes just plan these visits "off the cuff" due to a lack of having anything better to do and just need to kill some time

###### and i feel this is the number one reason- most elders hate field service so after they get the group rolling instead of doing door to door if they are near bro weak's house they will stop by to KILL TIME i know we used to do it all the time

in fact one elder in our hall was so bad his bookstudy hated him for leaving them in the territory

james

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

JT

DITTO DITTO DITTO!

FEELIN BEROEAN "Just making sure!"

• mustang
    mustang

Individual,

Your experience and comments remind me of dealing with the police (cops).

There is no such thing as a 'friendly chat' with them. (That is, if they are a stranger; if you know them, it probably is different.)

Bear in mind, that they are on duty, and every conversation IS A CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION.

Same thing w/ Elders.

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit