Are you Living or Existing?

by Golf 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I think that subconsciously (ummm actually consciously too) we were taught to exist now and start our 'real' lives in the new system.

In my mind, that has been a serious issue for me. I have to really pay attention and recognize opportunities for living. Mostly I just exist. Do my duties. Work odd, long hours, go home, read JWD, go to bed and start work again.

I'm getting better but this is probably the biggest change I have to make. Doctrinally, family, etc I am comortable with where I am. But still just existing - I think more out of habit than anything else.

-Aude.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

For as long as my loved ones are alive and well, I am truly "Living".

~Beck~

• Golf
    Golf

Fairchild how interesting you would say that you were a juggler and magician. For someone who did a juggling act you know the importance of 'balance.'

I'm sorry to hear that something in 1994 change your life. I've had many bad experiences in life but I've managed to get up, wipe the dirt off and start over again.

I hope someday you'll get to live again. Thanks for your remarks.

Aude_Sapere, like I said in the begining, I learned to extract the good out of bad situations. There's always a lesson to be learned. Like you said, you need to "...pay attention and recognize opportunites for living." Sometimes its right in front of our noses but we can't see it. Wishing you the best.

Guest77

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    One of the things I've come to learn is not to expect anything from anybody and this way you don't get disappointed.

I've been saying this for years.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I definitely try and live these days - at one time I was just existing until Armageddon came

• Golf
    Golf

The_Classicist, how interesting, did I steal it from you? Nah, can't beat experience. I have NO complaints about attending the school of hard knocks. Thanks for replying.

ExJWelder, yes, 'living' is fun. When we put things in perspective life has a lot to offer and to be enjoyed. The org. is like a blood sucker, they drain everything out you and what's left for you? No self-esteem, no pride, no personal honor, no emotions, no mind to think for yourself, no will or purpose to live except for them, we just exist. How many other 'no's' can you add?
    Thanks.

Guest77

• pleaseer2001
    pleaseer2001

HI Golf

I do understand the meaning of just existing, but really was it just that or my way of experiencing what I needed or didn't need at that time in my life. I think just existing and that is the emotional lock down that i personally struggle with, but knowing myself like i do this is not seen by many people. My little way of protecting myself. All is seen clearly when the time comes. Hold close the ones who mean the most and no storm is to bad!

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I guess I could say I used to be just existing.

Now I am trying to live and want to be one of the people who can say I am really living my life and having a great time with it.

Brooke

• jules99
    jules99
    Amazing how we take things for granted. My wife and I spend time together, we talk and watch movies together like two young love birds. I make sure I notice life around me. I'm in awe with life. There is so much to be in awe about, however, we're distracted by the pleasures of life and personal pursuits. I'm not against such things its just needs to be in 'balance.'

Hi Golf !

Yes, "My" Dan & I were exactly the same (even though he was 60 and me just a youngster - cough-cough). And he would have said exactly the same thing.

Keep up with the lovebird stuff!

Jules

xxx

• acsot
    acsot

I make sure I notice life around me. I'm in awe with life. There is so much to be in awe about, however, we're distracted by the pleasures of life and personal pursuits. I'm not against such things its just needs to be in 'balance.'

Hey Golf! How?re you doing? I?ve really got to pay you and the wife a visit one of these days.

A question for you about the above quote. Do you feel that Native beliefs help you appreciate nature and life?

As for me, I think this is a great topic. Like many here, I was running on empty during my days in the borg. I got to the point where I couldn?t feel anything: you couldn?t get too close to people in the congregation in case they turned out to be bad association, you couldn?t get close to ?worldly? relatives, and the god of the witnesses is such a petty, nit-picking monster you certainly couldn?t feel close to him.

Now it?s like I?ve finally come up for air and I can breath again. So I?m going to university part-time, doing some charity work and getting work done on my house. Plus accepting invites to birthday parties (my own and others!), New Year?s Eve parties, etc. It feels great to be part of life, so yes, now I am living.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit