Growing Old and Dying on the Paradise Earth

by Leolaia 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    ...we think we believed everything....but how strong deep within?

Gumby, I believed it enough to worry sometimes that, if I actually made it into the new system, I might fail the test at the end of the 1000 years and not get everlasting life. How brainwashed I must have been to worry about stuff like that!

Linda

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The test at the end of the 1000 years was also made out to be something to fear, at least in private discussion.

I remember a CO having dinner at our house. He was saying how much he loved meat. He said that he was worried that Satan would make big barbeque at the end of the 1000 years, and he would not be able to resist.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thank you everyone for continuing the discussion, and especially Forscher for the intriguing quote from Russell. It looks a lot like the old Russellite interpretation, based on the KJV's problematic translation of the passage, was kept intact and when the NWT was translated, they went with "sinner" because this is how the passage has always been understood by them (that is, rather than looking at the phrasing and meaning afresh). Also, it is fascinating how Russell has a rather harsh-sounding view of this final test, demanding nothing less than perfection...any mistake or "sin", and its the second death for you. I'm actually quite surprised that this JW teaching goes all the way back to Russell, who woulda thunk it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit