Can someone help with Assembly locations in Norco and Los Angeles?

by hlaim 18 Replies latest jw friends

• hlaim
    hlaim

Hi all,

I'm a former witness (attended when I was young but never baptized). The assembly halls that I attended (besides Dodger Stadium) were one in Norco and what had to be a historic "play house/theatre" in a bad area of LA.

What I remember...

Norco: Facing the stage, I remember murals on the right upper wall.

LA Area: It was a white building. Had a beautiful mural on the ceiling of the main hall. The cafateria across the parking lot. I searched on the internet but I can't find anything about this place.

Can anyone help me with info about these places and when they are held there, or how I could find out. I'd really like to return once for memories sake.

Thanks a bunch

HL

• upside/down
    upside/down

I was baptized at Norco Assemly Hall.

It has been completely remodeled- very modern and beautiful. Has large screen TV screens to observe baptisms so no more crowding around the pool to watch. You wouldn't recognize it. It still stinks like cows though due to the massive dairy herds.

Our DC's were held in San Diego at Jack Murphy Stadium (as it used to be called), then were changed to Long Beach Convention Ctr. Don't know about LA it was a world away. We were in south Orange County.

Funniest thing one year the DC was the same weekend as the Gay & Lesbien Convention and Parade. What a sight 100+ thousand hardcore flashy gay people and 15K JW's. It was ackward and funny! Obviously it was Satan at work... lol...

u/d

• hlaim
    hlaim

hahaha - I remember the cow smell. I sure it's nice, but I wish I could see it the old way.

I don't remember where the pool was at the Norco hall. I remember at the one in LA I talked about it was actually in the floor of the cafateria area, and they would lift up a panel.

Do you have the address of the Norco Hall so I could find it? Do you remember it before the remodel?

Thanks

• Sassy
    Sassy

I live hear the Norco assembly hall.. although I haven't been there since I moved nearby.. I think I would have an anxiety attack if I did

• kls
    kls

Welcome hlaim to JWD

If you go back for memories sakes let us know how it was.

• upside/down
    upside/down

The "pool" at Norco was in the floor, also hidden by a trap door. Still is, but now it's bigger and open. I helped install the sound system and speakers. All that "free" labor, I could have a retirement account with if I'da gotten paid. Cest la vie!

u/d

• hlaim
    hlaim

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. I remember as a kid how large all these places seemed. I bet it would seem quite small now (kind of like Disneyland now :-)

The one large painting on the wall in Norco that I remember well as a kid was "The 4 Horseman of the Apocolypse" or something like that. Anyone remember? It had some scary characters riding on horses. Made a real impression on the kids :-)

Also, could one of you that are familiar give me directions, an address or any info so I could find it. Also, how could I find out the schedule?

Anyone who knows about the Los Angeles area place would also be great.

• upside/down
    upside/down

One of my good friends painted that picture (mural) it was world class! He caught heck for it too, not being humble enough and all. Gene Metcalf was his name- he's dead now. He was a great artist and a very humble man. Too bad he wasted his talent with the WTS, even served at Bethel, but was never "humble" enough. He was a great bro- and definitely not a "company man".

I miss him.

u/d

• hlaim
    hlaim

Wow - one hell of a painter he was! It was one of my favorite parts of going there. You don't happen to have a pic of that work, do you?

• upside/down
    upside/down

Sorry I don't. He painted a mural in our Hall and worked doing freelance work for Disneyland. He wrote a book on caligraphy too.

He was constantly hounded for not being humble enough. The guy was very low key and HUMBLE. While at Bethel they never used his artistic talent so as to keep him humble. He really chaffed at that because that was in the 60's and 70's and the art was TERRIBLE. Then the local elders that were jealous of his abilities lobbied to have all his work painted over or removed because people knew it was his and were giving him credit for it and of course this was not "humble" enough. Bastards!

This man LOVED Jehovah so much and the only persecution he recieved was from his "brothers" for making art for the bOrg, makes you stop and think....

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit