Can someone help with Assembly locations in Norco and Los Angeles?

by hlaim 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Grouper
    Grouper

In LA we used the Woodland Hills hall which was sold in 2004 for 20 milion plus..

We also attended a small old theater in Crenshaw which had a cafeteria and KH in the back and a small park like island in the front, as a kid we used to go to the Thrifty store, which was on one of the sides of the hall, to buy all kinds of candy and gum, the assembly commity always discouraged this but no one ever listened. This thearter got sold 10+ years ago.

Many in the LA area now go to Mira Loma (btw 60 HWY & 15 INST) (beautiful hall) for the circuit assemblies which is relatively close to the Norco hall and therefore also smells like cows.

District assemblies are held at the Long Beach Convention Center.

Late

• r51785
    r51785

I am a salesman. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with a client whose business is next door to the Norco Assembly Hall. While I don't know the address of the assembly hall, I can tell you that my client Quick Crete Products is located at 731 Parkridge Ave in Norco, so therefore the assembly hall is on Parkridge Avenue. The link from Yahoo maps is:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=j7FZxup_0Tpndgj7W9DFF1oKFwugPwtD4jg-&csz=Norco%2C+CA&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

The closest freeway intersection is the 91 and the 15.

Good luck with your nostalgic trip!

• hlaim
    hlaim

That's the one Grouper! I remember all that stuff. The island park, getting candy (we went to the corner liquor store). I also remember getting softserve ice cream in the front room, and getting shocked all the time on the side handrails because of the carpet. Also looking up at the mural on the ceiling. Damn - I was afraid of it not being used anymore. Funny you describe it as "small". I remember it being so big, probably because I was a kid.

Do you (or anyone) have any idea where in Crenshaw it was? I'd REALLY like to take a drive by, although I'm scared at what I might find.

Stupid, now that I think about it, to think I could return and the experience would be as it was 20 years ago. I have a young son now, so I guess I'm getting nostalgic... :-)

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Anyone know how I could track down a schedule for these places?

HL

• Grouper
    Grouper

HLAIM

I described as small because compared to Dodger Stadium and The Fabulus Forum (went to the Lakers locker room) it was small I was a kid and early teenager when I attended.

I used to serve the icescream and also help serving and preping food at the cafeteria maybe I even served U, went there in the late 70's to mid 80's

I don't recall the address but if you went west on the Santa Monica FWY 10 and exist Crenshaw going south it was past the old May Co shopping strip, by the way I think it got sold to a gospel church.

If I remember anything else I'll post it

Late

• hlaim
    hlaim

r51785 - Thanks for the directions. That is certainly close enough for me to find it. I'll say hi to the cows for you when I go.

What a small world this is! I've come across someone who knew the painting of the mural I remember in Norco, now I've found my ice cream server. I seem to remember you were generous with the height Grouper :-)

It was quite small compared to Dodger Stadium. Funny you mention the Lakers locker room (I'm jealious btw) - I had some fun at Dodger stadium a few times when I was around 12. I loved to explore the hallways, and one time found my way in the locker room and then to the dugout. I later walked on the field from behind the plate to the exit in the outfield. I also looked over to my right once while standing in back and found Michael Jackson standing next to me. Earlier we were using our binoculars to check out his family.

Thank for the directions - I'll check out Crenshaw someday with a full tank of gas. Funny to imagine myself trying to get in to a gospel church there. Might stand out a bit ;-) Yes, please feel free to post any other info or memories you remember. I've really enjoyed it.

Anyone else attend?

• El Cid
    El Cid

Hey there,

I remember going to that old L.A. theater myself when I was a kid - it was called the Leimert Theater and was in an area of L.A. called Leimert Park (believe it was near Crenshaw and Slauson Ave). Anyway here's a link to a web site that has the exact address and some photos (this should bring back some memories)!

http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=15813

They give a short history of the theater even mentioning that it was "closed to films in the early 1980s to become a Jehovah's Witness Hall for many years". They must have been misinformed because I remember going there for district assemblies during the early 70's (oops, guess I'm dating myself here)! BTW, there once a rumor (i.e. JW urban legand) going around way back then that a brother was way up on the theater tower doing some kind of maintenance (painting, or ???) and accidentally fell - supposedly he survived without any injuries at all because he 'floated' safely down to the ground via the help of Jehovah's 'angels'. Enjoy!

Johnny

• hlaim
    hlaim

Yes Yes Yes - Thanks El Cid!!!!!!!!! That's it. And you're right - the memories...

I remember that story too. Great history. I gotta run out now - I'll look when I get back and post more...

• hlaim
    hlaim

Thanks so much to everyone for the info. The link was great. I can remember standing out in front and looking at the sparkly art deco design (seen in the picture). I looked and looked but couldn't find a picture of the inside. I knew it had to have quite a history, and it seems it was built by Howard Hughs:

"The Vision theatre is an old movie house that Howard Hughes built for himself because he didn't want to go all the way to Hollywood to mingle and see movies with Hollywood folks."

Old pic: http://cinematreasures.com/theater/822

Story of the sale: http://www.ccim.com/JrnlArt/20011013.htm

I don't think I ever would have found this info without you all. I'll go to sleep happy. Hope you all do too. Maybe sometime I'll post my JW history and feelings.

If there are any more stories, feel free to post them. I'd love the hear.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings!

Most groups in this district go to the Mira Loma Hall (I remember carrying a 500 lb! piece of glass window from the truck to an A-frame with the glass delivery guy while all these old brothers just stood around and watched during construction. It was for the window near the baptismal pool.)

Districts are held at the Long Beach Convention center (ever since the Dodger org changed ownership from the O'Mally's? and the stadium management started charging the WTS too much money.)

When you guys are talking about Crenshaw, I think you are referring to the small litte assembly hall in Leimert Park not Crenshaw?

I think the Leimert Park is still used by Korean circuits and the deaf circuit for Circuit Assemblies but I am not certain.

As for schedules, the schedules of the District Convention are in the Jan Watchtower I think and probably available somewhere, maybe at the official WTS website.

Circuit assemblies you just have to find out from someone. It has been a while since I attended a KH so I am out of touch with when the next one is.

-Eduardo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit