What is their excuse?

by bagpuss 12 Replies latest jw friends

• bagpuss
    bagpuss

I've recently been looking at examples of how the WTS misquote sources to support their theories,often omitting large portions of a quote.

One that made me angry was a quote in the reasoning book on page 89 under the subject of cross. Here is the quote,the omitted parts highlighted.

"The Greek word for cross, stauros, properly signified a stake, an upright pole, or a piece of paling, on which anything might be hung, or which might be used in impaling (fencing in) a piece of ground.

But a modification was introduced as the dominion and usages of Rome extended themselves through Greek speaking countries. Even amongst the Romans, the crux (from which the word cross is derived) appears to have been originally an upright pole, and always remained the more prominent part. But from the time that it began to be used as an instrument of punishment, a traverse piece of wood was commonly added....about the period of the Gospel Age, crucifixion was usually accomplished by suspending the criminal on a cross piece of wood."

I think you will agree that the full quote supports the cross and NOT the stake.

Have any of you shown quotes like this to JWs and if so what was their response?

For any active JWs reading this, does it not make you doubt other quotes used by the WTS, especially when you see ............in the middle of a sentence?

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

What book is that quote from? Tell me so I can order it off of ebay.

• bagpuss
    bagpuss

The info is from a website www.geocities.com

I actually found it by searching google for should you believe the trinity. There are lots more misquotes in that too!

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

If your reading any WTS Shiterature and you see the "infamous" 3 dots, you can be pretty sure they are tailoring it to suit their twisted philosophies. And if they are quoting their own "previously" released publications you can be damn sure of it.

• stevenyc
  • ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

You gave me the host's URL, not the actual URL to the page itself.

• bagpuss
    bagpuss

Sorry coldredrain, as you can see I'm no expert at this internet stuff!!!!!

Try www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/7831/index.html

That should take you to a page called JWs a critical analysis (fingers crossed-oops I forgot thats not allowed!!!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Good stuff, Bagpuss! I thought that we knew all there was about this subject, but this material is worth a second read Well done

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

That's a beauty.
    The Trinity brochure is full of such misleading partial quoting. It was upon discovering this that the last vestages of my respect for the WTS was completely destroyed.

Beware the elipses ...

• upside/down
    upside/down

One of the most embarrasing "quotes" is in the Creation book's bibliography taken from The National Enquirer.

WHO QUOTES THE ENQUIRER? (tabloid rag in the US)

How embarassing to have a householder point this out.

Anyone remember that or have the reference?

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit