JWs at My Door - and the Answer to a Prayer

by hemp lover 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

This happened almost three years ago, but since I always enjoy reading about other people's JW encounters, I thought I'd finally share one of my own.

I lived in an apartment for four years following my disfellowshipping and no one had ever come to my door, not even so much as a shepherding visit. (Yeah, right.) I had lurked on this board for a while, but was put off by the anger and negativity of some people and so I didn't stay long. Looking back, I think that, even though I had read "Crisis of Conscience" and was going through a devastating time, I just wasn't ready to know the truth about the "truth". At that time, there was a slight possibility that the JWs still could have gotten me back if they'd even tried to answer my questions.

About a month after I moved into a house in a completely different part of town, two women came to my door. If you've never been on the other side as a householder, let me tell you, it's a weird, scary feeling. I thought I'd feel empowered because I knew something they didn't, but I was actually terrified and extremely nervous. I kept holding onto the doorframe, so they wouldn't see my hands shaking.

I can't remember what the opening question was, because I ignored it. I asked her, "Are you Jehovah's Witnesses?" She said, "Yes, but don't let that put you off."

Me: "Well, it's just that you might be wasting your time with me. I studied rather extensively with your religion, but there were several questions that no one could answer and so I stopped." (Oopsie, my first lie, unless you consider studying extensively the family studies my dad used to have with me.)

She made some small talk about where and with whom I studied. I made up some names and places and then she asked me what my questions were.

Me: "I was a history major in college (another lie - they just kept popping out. I didn't even go to college.) and so from my research, I learned that Jerusalem was not destroyed in 607 as JWs claim. In fact, try as I might, I can't find any historical reference that agrees with your date of 607. All I want to know is the book they found that date in." (This was actually true. I still believed that somewhere in Brooklyn, there had to be a reference with the 607 date.)

She looked down, began flipping through pages of her Bible and then muttered under her breath, "Yeah, I used to have a problem with dates, too." Brightens a bit when she finds her scripture and reads the one about if you have enough faith, you can move mountains. Smiling robot face, "I truly believe this scripture literally. That if you have enough faith, you can actually move a mountain. Why, just this week on the news, some scientists transported matter with a new machine they built!"

Me: skeptical noise. "Really? Where'd you see that?"

JW: "I told you - it was on the news. They moved a piece of paper from one part of the room to the other! So you see, it all comes down to faith." She went on for about three more minutes. (Do you have any idea how hard it is to talk for three minutes straight without stopping?) But she did it, bless her heart. I was trying so hard to listen and remember everything she was telling me about faith that I seem to have forgotten most of it. She ended our little one-sided conversation by trying to give me some literature and asking if she could come back with some information on 607. I said no to the literature but yes to the RV.

That was June. In September, I was leaving my house one Saturday morning and I saw two nicely dressed teenage boys with bookbags turtling down the sidewalk. (It had rained the night before and the snails were out. I was tempted to put one next to them and see who won the race. Hey, even snails need a blue ribbon now and then.) I called out to them as I walked to my car. One of them heard me and looked over and then looked away really fast with a "Please, Jehovah, don't let her be talking to me" look on his face. I called out again and the other, slightly braver one heard me and walked over. I asked him if he knew S----. He pointed to his friend and said, "Yeah, that's his mom."

I said, "Will you please let her know that I'm still waiting for her to come back?" The poor kids looked so relieved that they didn't have to talk to me about anything real. They were so happy - "Oh yeah, sure, we'll tell her!"

One Saturday morning at the end of October: a knock on my door. Guess who?
    JW: "Hi, remember me? Well, I was just driving by with my friend and I was telling her about you and she said, 'Who cares about dates?' and I said, 'Yeah, I know.' But we decided that we'd come by and answer your question. So how about tomorrow morning at 10:30?"

Me: "I'll be here."

I will never forget that night. I couldn't sleep, laid awake in bed for hours and cried till I prayed. I begged God to open my eyes and help me to see and that if there was anything at all about the Jehovah's Witness religion that was true or that he wanted me to incorporate into my life, I would do it. I wanted (and still want) everyone's suffering to stop. I couldn't (and still can't) read the newspaper without crying. I told Him whatever they said the next day, I would listen to with an open heart and mind.

Sunday morning, 10:30 a.m. . . . noon. . . 5:00 p.m. They never showed. And I don't just mean they didn't come that day. I mean they never came back . . . ever.

And that's how I really knew what I already knew, if you know what I mean. The JWs come to my door about twice a year and I make up a fresh story (lie) each time. Perhaps I'll share some of those another day, but right now I must away to work.

Enjoy your sandwich.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

......you don't think hey're still looking for the answer? lol - Great read, thanks !!

• Gill
    Gill

Hey Hemp lover, you little seed of doubt planter, you!

Don't you just wonder if that sister is still beavering away in some library somewhere looking for the date 607 BCE or if she's decided to take a look on the internet...........?

• freedom96
    freedom96

I don't think most JW's can accurately back up what they believe, not on their own without books and magazines telling them so.

I don't doubt that lady was nervous as hell, and knew she couldn't stand a chance against you.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Excellent.

There's something about the style with which you recount that story that reminds me of something, though

http://www.allposters.com/images/35/012_5012_a.jpg

• Balsam
    Balsam

Being Disfellowshipped and living no where near where I was a JW has great advantages. No one here knows me from any worldly person. I still like to keep up with the what they are saying to enable me to help others who are on their way out. Being able to quote the lastest magazines of publications has proved benefitial with them.

I have a JW lady my age bringing me the current copies of the Watchtower & Awake when she can make it. She lives down the road from me. We had a two hour discussion about the bible on Friday when she called ahead and came to bring me magazines. She just thinks I am a very different gal who appreciates the bible, but does not believe in it. I am careful never to use their language nor to ever give away the fact I was once a JW.

I have to say I love these visits, she come usually with two extra ladies so they can all count time and shoot the shit with me as my husband says. We may talk about the bible a total of 15 min and rest of the time is spent talking about life. I am an easy way to count time in the door to door. She always gets at lest 2 hrs at my house about once a month. She has even got where she will call me if she can't get by when she says she will. I know she would think the Devil himself was toying with her if she ever found out I was an ex-jw. I will have to bring up the 607 date if I run across it in the magazines. Currently I have them digging on why God punshed and killed 70,000 of the Israelite for David taking a census. Seems abusive of God to do such and that is what I told them. I asked them why would I want to honor or worship such a God. He does not seem worth of honor. Well they were pretty taken aback but promised to get back to me on it which I'm sure they will. I've already looked up the information in the WTS library and the reasoning is just funny really. So I know what they will say. I will let them know that is poor explanation and that still I would never worship such a God. They have already asked me to come to the KH. LOL They are sure there is a reasonable explaination.

I love bring up things there are no clear answers too, like the trinity and the ambigous scriptures that allude to it. Next time I plan on asking them about the Roman worship of Mithras and how it paralled to the worship of Jesus as God & the trinity. I have printed up some information on this from the internet. How early Christians turned Jesus into a God-Man savior just like Mithras.

I think we should embrace these times when we can get these folks to think, and ponder on just what it is they believe. One of the JW women admitted they do little outside research, only their publications. I said to her "How can you have a well rounded conclusion by only considering once source of information?" She said I don't know which only made me laugh a bit.

Balsam

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

To Hemplover- youre not lying, just using theocratic warfare strategy-LOL

To Balsam, it sounds like youre having fun with it, I wish they would come to my door.

Dave

• melmac
    melmac

...Who cares about dates? WHO CARES ABOUT DATES???? In a religion that was built upon prophecies on 1879, 1914, 1925, etc etc? Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I told you - it was on the news. They moved a piece of paper from one part of the room to the other!

I haven't finished reading your post yet, but I just HAD to comment on this little jewel!

That JW obviously had NO idea what she was talking about. The "teleportation" machines that are currently being built do not transport "objects"... they can only transport single particles (electrons, protons, etc...) and atoms (Hydrogen, carbon, etc...) but they CANNOT transport objects like paper, at least not yet.

On a side note, the matter really is not being "teleported" in the Star Trek sense. The matter is not disappearing from one location and reappearing in another location. What the scientists are doing is measuring the properties of the matter and then imposing those properties onto another piece of matter in another location. The act of measuring the properties of the piece of matter effectively changes the matter so that its properties are different. The properties are then imposed onto another piece of matter so that it looks identical to the matter that was measured. This is why they call it "teleportation" even though it is not what most people think.

For anyone interested, a very good explanation can be found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3811785.stm
    http://www.crystalinks.com/teleportation.html

- Elsewhere, of the Geek Class

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    I told you - it was on the news. They moved a piece of paper from one part of the room to the other

I remember this Elsewhere - it was in Australia, and it was a beam of light I think.

The trouble with a lot of JW is they know very little about a lot of subjects, and they think they have their collective finger on the pulse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit