How do i teach my kid about God?

by phil78 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

the thing is to let the kids think for themself

IMHO that's initially not possible.
    Parents provide a worldview for their children, which later gets challenged by interaction at school and in general life.
    I would suggest that to think that a young child is genuinely going to be able to think for itself in an adult manner is a misnomer. Otherwise, why is it that children are not held accountable for certain crimes, etc.?

Edited to add:Further, I would contend that to leave a child without some kind of framework to work from would be remiss.
    Alternatively, why do you think it is that children go through the "why?" stage?

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

LT, ... there is no real difference in what we think about processes ... anybody to think have to start somewhere ... the thing is to remind that others statements comes from others experiences and that everything can be challenged from any hint/riddle ...

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface
    Alternatively, why do you think it is that children go through the "why?" stage?

LT, you never had a child for sure !!! ... kids have a very specific stage (around 2 to 6 years approximativly) where they are asking why so much that it actually bother big deal at the end !!!

Eddited to add : I end up saying for most of questions I don't know you'll see later or for yourself ... (not that I'm proud of that ... but that's how it came out) ... but you know what : HE DID !!!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Also there is no reason for me to say I know, if I don't

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The next time the little chit makes a mistake (after you've warned his sorry 5 month old ass, of course) take him out into the middle of the forest, and leave him there alone. That'll teach him all about God.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:I end up saying for most of questions I don't know you'll see later or for yourself ...

And that is a fantastic framework to give a child. Honesty. It lends credence when you need to explain that all those other worldviews and religious opinions, are just that, nothing more than another's view or opinion.

• dh
    dh

If I ever have kids, I will teach them what other people believe God to be, and then explain that nobody really knows for sure, and because I do not know for sure, I cannot tell them exactly because God is many different things to many different people. I will give them the tools they need to navigate the bullshit, and tell them that when they grow up they will be able to make their own descision.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Teach him all about gods from Allah to Zeus. When he's old enough he can decide which if any he believes in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit