How do i teach my kid about God?

by phil78 17 Replies latest jw friends

• phil78
    phil78

How do i teach my kid about God? Its a question thats been rattling around my head for months. He is only 5 months old now, and we left just a few months before he was born. Back in the old life, i would be reading to him from the Bible Story Book, but that seems a little pointless now.

The thing is, what's the normal thing to do. "Normal" as in, what would the average joe be doing to introduce his kids to the thought of religion and God? I can't just ignore the subject. He is going to learn it in school. He is going to have questions when he's older about what we used to do, and why we left. I just want to start on the right foot now.

• Undecided
    Undecided

As soon as I teach myself what God is I'll let you know.

Ken P.

• Golf
    Golf

God to me is impersonal. I view the higher source as being my Creator, to me its personal. My view has not changed since childhood. I have taught my kids the same way, its their experience.

Guest77

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

As you work it out for yourself just let it come up naturally in conversation.
    There's no need for a borg-style indoctrination plan, now

IMHO spirituality is something innate. You may have at least until the 3/4yr-old "why?" stage, before you have to worry too much about it

I do understand why it concerns you, but I suspect your child is oblivious, at the moment

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I don't think I would bring it before he ask me or that the conversation comes in the familly ... and then go for what Golf said somehow ... just as it is a personnal relationship (that nobody can tell if it is with a true being, but if not, can act like a placebo which could explain what most of people think about it) ... tell to stay focus on facts or at least coherence ...

Actually the most important is to protect your son from any kind of high control groupe/cult who would use God and some promesses of happyness or better life as a bait ... He'll find his own way, then well armed ...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

FBF:

...just as it is a personnal relationship (that nobody can tell if it is with a true being...

Just to take this as a side issue. Your comments are conflicting. If it's not a true being, how can it be a personal relationship?
    Further, to state that nobody can tell if it is with a true being denies the claims of multitudes of people who state they have a personal relationship...

• Satanus
    Satanus

I have read that some kids remember a previous life during their first few yrs. This would be a good opportunity to test that. As soon as he/she can talk, why not ask about it? Isn't that a good way to start in about god or spiritual type stuff?

S

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

LT,

FBF:
    ...just as it is a personnal relationship (that nobody can tell if it is with a true being...

Just to take this as a side issue. Your comments are conflicting. If it's not a true being, how can it be a personal relationship?
    Further, to state that nobody can tell if it is with a true being denies the claims of multitudes of people who state they have a personal relationship...

I agree on the conflicting aspect of the terminologies ... it's not that simple to explain ... the thing is that it is how "I" see it ... I'm not a Dr Es science in whatever ... (to me in this topic it is about to tell about others people feelings - cause if nobody tells you about god - how would anybody think about it at first ???)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

FBF:Experiments have unsuccessfully been done to try to irradicate belief (see Communism), but ultimately it's very much going to be something that everyone is exposed to culturally. It's going to become an issue at some point, even if that's Kindergarten.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

FBF:Experiments have unsuccessfully been done to try to irradicate belief (see Communism), but ultimately it's very much going to be something that everyone is exposed to culturally. It's going to become an issue at some point, even if that's Kindergarten.

Right ... so it's albout being coherent and not saying that you are sure of something when you are not ... (a kid can trust his parent on word - moreover on this kind of stuff it's an whole ambiance) ... the thing is to let the kids think for themself from everything we know in talking about every options and aspects of it ... and let him know that he might find something new himself ... (why not) ... that's how you can make him as open minded as possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit