I Wish I Could Apologize To Old Friends

by Robert K Stock 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

When I became a Witness in Ventura, California in 1973. I was 15 years old and in the tenth grade. I was the only one in my family that was active though my mother, step father and my brothers thought the Watchtower was the truth. My step father had been raised a Witness while my family was not affiliated with any particular church. I began studying in March and was baptized that November 25 at the Assembly Hall in Woodland Hills.

Being full of self righteous hot air I offended a Witness friend and wish I could apologize to her in person. Since I have not seen or heard of her in nearly thirty years I am posting this.

Renee was a year or two older then me and a very pretty girl. Gorgeous red hair, long graceful legs. Absolutely beautiful. I had seen her in school before I knew she was a Witness. Of course I had noticed this total babe. But through the lens of the Watchtower I categorized her as a worldly, wanton slut due to the way she dressed. In my addled mind she was the personification of the woman mentioned in Proverbs chapter 5 that leads chaste young men to destruction.

I went to the meeting one Sunday and there was Renee at the Kingdom Hall. How could a girl that dressed so immodestly be in the truth? My great offense was that I told her I was shocked to discover she was a Witness because I thought she dressed immodestly. I saw the hurt in her eyes but my self righteousness had me beaming with delight. A few days later she told me she had cried and prayed to be forgiven if she had done anything to bring reproach on Jehovah.

Renee, I was an ass. I was wrong. There was nothing untoward about you. I was the one with the problem and I am sorry that I cannot tell you in person.

• Valis
    Valis

Robert, as long as you now invite them out for a drink instead of bringing up Proverbs it is all good!...*LOL*

Ya sometimes you remember those things and cringe like WTF was I thinking?!!!!

I also wanted to add though that after I left home, most of my "old friends" never came to see me, inquired about me, none of that.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

I would be happy to take anyone out for a beer and would never quote the Bible now.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Robert, holy shit dude. You sounded like one of those hardcore geeky no-clue-of-reality witnesses. Im surprised you made it out.. hehe

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Robert K Stock.

I totaly understand your position. There are so many people I would like to talk to and either say sorry or "O.K. lets have that same discussion. and I'll tell you where your pobably right".

I left after my questions couldn't be answered and I had to deliver talks, feeling like a hypocrit(sp + 2 glasses of wine).

I am very fortunate to have a group of school friends who allowed for my theocrastic expressions at the hight of my apostalizing and helped me through my departure.

People are very understanding, they would have known, much more than you at the time, why you were saying what you were saying. I'm pretty confident that if you did get the chance to meet these people again, and start to explain you actions, they'd laugh and say "yeh, I know" before you could finish.

Thats been my experience.

Steve.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I would be happy to take anyone out for a beer and would never quote the Bible now.

Ok Then.....

• Valis
    Valis

eheh Pozdrunk...as long as you don't return to the like a

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

I fell for that nonsense hook line and sinker. I tried my best to be a good little Witness for fifteen years. I did not have my first date until I was 21 and was a virgin until 25.

When I was a teenager the parents of the other kids would only let them go to the movies or anywhere else if I were going too. I would be the first person dropped off at home so the rest of them could park and make out!

I never found about about that until years later.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    eheh Pozdrunk...as long as you don't return to the like a

Nope...Left all that behind.....

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

i once threatened to turn my own brother in to the elders for "slander" - he'd just made some stupid throwaway remark about somebody in the congregation, and he was only about 17 years old at the time. i meant it as well, an 18 year old pioneer is a beast to be taken seriously! i was such a fucking idiot. hope i'm a little less stupid now.

pepheuga

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit