How would you reply??

by chrissee 18 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Knowing what it means, I'd be tempted to pretend I never received it...

• Honesty
    Honesty

What a screwed up set of values the WTBTS instills in people to control them.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It never ceases to amaze me how blind our witness families are to say that we are the ones making the decision to end communications with them.

I'm so sorry you are about to go into this with them. I agree with the others here; the more you can downplay this the better off you will be. If your parents end up going to the elders, I'd say that coming here was a mistake and that you don't do it any more. I would not tell them anything more and if they give you the 'do you believe in the GB' line, if you don't want to be Da'd, you'll have to be very careful with your answer.

Jeannie

• phil78
    phil78
    A thoughtless word (spoken or read) from someone, a thoughtless act by someone, that's all it takes for weak ones to feel that Jehovah is not real and what they've learned about him is not the truth.

That is what has happened to us. P.O. dropped in to see us. I wasn't home, just my wife, who said i was out. He just said he would call around again later. (My wife obviously isn't important enough to warant her own visit) (not complaining, just commenting)

He then rang her parents to say he had called. He said he didn't know what was going on. He thought perhaps we had been stumbled, and did her mum know of anthing that might of happened. (Her mum recited this back to my wife later. She does this, just to drop hints that people are noticing our absence. She hopes we would talk to her about whats going on, but we are keeping it quiet and trying to lay low.)

Do they automatically think we have been stumbled?

Is it that they require a logical reason for someones leaving the org?

Can't comprehend that we could have thought for ourselves and made a decission for ourselves and are comfortable now with ourselves?

-Phil

Take the blue pill, and believe whatever you want to believe.

Take the red pill, and we will show you how deep this rabbit hole goes?.

WE CAN ONLY SHOW YOU THE DOOR, YOU?RE THE ONE WHO HAS TO WALK THROUGH IT.

• gumby
    gumby
    Explain that this idea of a division is their doing and not yours. If communication stops between the two of you, only they can reinstate it. Make them responsible for it.

Saying that to a dub is the same as a heroin addict saying , "if you won't hang around with me anymore because I shoot heroin, it's your doing, not mine." That little phrase of reasoning doesn't work because they have been programmed to believe that statement is false. When you leave the Organisation....you leave Jehovah....period!

If you want to keep your family, fade away without making objectionable verbal statements. Be vague, lie, whatever. The trauma can be devastating for many to be shunned. Only YOU know how well you can handle being shunned....and usually you don't know the intensity until you have experienced it firsthand.

Good luck,

Gumby

• Golf
    Golf

How would I respond? With love and thoughtfulness. I would thank them for writing and expressing their concern.

I would stick with 'positive' comments and avoid any negativism, because negativism is a given with the JW's. Write the letter with such positivism it would babble their mind. Don't give them and room (in the event) to answer back your letter in a negative tone.

Personally, as to them not signing a letter, how IMMATURE!

Guest77

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

My angle to my mom...after her expressing similar sentiments as your parents, was to tell her that you are having a crisis of faith and that they just need to bear with you while you get things sorted out. For me, it's worked because it got her off my back and gave her more time to realize that I ain't comin' back. But it also opened opportunities to express some of the other things that you wish your parents could realize, namely that other than your choice not to go to the KH, that you haven't changed. You disagree on this ONE thing. You still live a principled life and you don't discount the moral lessons taught by them, and your love for them hasn't diminished.

If they really want to tangle though....remind them that being self righteous doesn't guarantee a spot for them post armageddon.

Good luck.

Ern

• chrissee
    chrissee

To littletoe:

I'd be tempted to pretend I never received it...

I thought on that one, but the letter included a check for candy sales for my kid, although I haven't said I received either when I spoke to her this morning.

And to Golf:

How would I respond? With love and thoughtfulness. I would thank them for writing and expressing their concern

That seems to be the way I will go. I have started a letter in return, but not sure if I will send it, it's still in the works.

Thanks again to all your replies... I think I will just wait a day or two and see if they ask if I received it...I will let ya'll know.

• dh
    dh
    We love you dearly but our loyalty belongs to Jehovah.

This makes me want to be so sick, I find it tough to imagine what that must be like. If my family said that to me, I would laugh at them cynically as I tend to do, tell them their god can burn and I would never call them again. To be honest I would block them completely even if they hinted at shunning me, but I am pretty sure that will never happen as they are cool now, so yes, I'm lucky, but I feel for you in this situation. I look at it like this... They brought you into this world, the one they profess to hate, yet they would rather be loyal to something else other than their own flesh and blood. People like this should be beaten severely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit