Nursing Mom's and Meetings

by jeanniebeanz 23 Replies latest social family

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Does anyone here remember nursing their babies at the meetings and/or assemblies before the laws that protected the ability to do so in public were passed in the US? Was it any easier to do in other parts of the world?

Jean

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Although I never nursed at the meetings or conventions I know of plenty of sisters in the Kingdom Hall who did.

I don't think it ever trouble anyone. In fact in the province of Ontario a women can go out in public with her breast fully exposed and not be arrested.

Orangefatcat.

• Mulan
    Mulan

As I recall, there was never a problem. When mine were babies, there was always a couch in the restroom or in the library.

At conventions, there were lots of chairs in the restrooms too.

At the Assembly Hall, there was a special room with several nice rocking chairs for that purpose.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

In fact in the province of Ontario a women can go out in public with her breast fully exposed and not be arrested.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had both of my boys in Germany and I'd just whip it out wherever I was and no one had a problem. But it always seemed to be a problem on the American military installations in Germany though. Not really a double standard, but close enough. Guess those were my exhibitionist days...

laters

kaykay_mp

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Something that was a surprise to me was when people did have issues, it was rarely the men. Normally, it was older 'sisters' that gave me a hard time. Maybe it was just the congregation I was in during those years.

J

• simplesally
    simplesally

Our KH had a lounge that was attached to the ladies room for us to take care of our nursing or bottle fed babies. The Convention had a nursing room for sisters and the Assembly halls had the best rooms: lots of rocking chairs and couches for moms and babies.

• Poztate
    Poztate

OFC

In fact in the province of Ontario a women can go out in public with her breast fully exposed and not be arrested.

If I remember correctly it involved a woman who decided to go topless while mowing her grass in the summer.

She was arrested and charged with indecent exposure. She won the case. It was a great day for freedom and justice in Ontario.

The only problem was that for months afterwards I "raced" out of the house whenever I heard a lawnmower starting up.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

maybe there's a distinction between a working breast and a recreational breast!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Once in while I nursed my babies under a blanket right there during the convention. Nobody ever said anything to me or gave me any dirty looks. When you are sitting in the nosebleed seats, it's not always convenient to jaunt down four hundred steep steps and around the arena to the nursing mothers' room with a crying, hungry baby. I also didn't want to miss all that delish spiritual soul food, too. That would have been a bummer.

A few weeks ago, I walked from the gift shop where I work into the restaurant at Cracker Barrel. There was a very unhappy lady sitting there with her breast fully exposed, nursing her baby. I could tell she was doing it because the dad was being an azz. It didn't bother me at all, and these polite Southwest Michigan folks I work with never mentioned it. Maybe the lady was upset because there is a nice changing station but, but no chair for a nursing mother. We will bring a chair in the restroom for someone if they ask for one.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

There was a couch in the ladies room for awhile at the kh I grew up in...later we build a "mothers room" at the back of the main hall.

It was specifically for nursing and changing infants...couches and easy chairs...a high curtained window to view the platform and even a speaker so as not to miss a word of the talks.

There was never much of an issue with nursing mothers except for some of the other parents who didn't like having to explain the why's and wherefore's to their young children who might catch a glimps of a breast or a nipple........nipple....MMmmmmmm....oh, um..sorry I digress.

As the..."dun dun daaaa"..."attendant".. (said in my best super hero voice LOL)... part of my job was to "patrol" the area to keep the curious kids away and make sure the mothers kept the curtains closed while they were "exposed". Sort of like leaving the mouse in charge of the cheese ! LOL

RGW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit