Entrapment(?): Bethelite Disfellowshipped for Gluttony

by frankiespeakin 25 Replies latest jw friends

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

Sounds a bit far fetched to me too

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

BB,

Sure I think it could be a myth,,that's why I put it out to see if anyone actually witnessed this.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

If you disfellowshiped for overeating,1/2 the flock would be gone.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

To tell you the truth, I may have happened but I think that it could be a rumor too. Just look at the size of the Canadian Branch Overseer Percy Chapman he was quite a large man. They didn't disfellowship him. I just responded to Gill's post on being greedy and food consumption and it being placed in the scriptures next to fornicators , idolators adulterers, liars thieves, etc So then why doesn't the society disfellowship gluttons and greedy persons here is what I said to his post:

I am not one to point a finger when it comes to people who are overwieght. I believe I heard recently that obesity is one of North Americans biggest health concerns.

I now of many many in the organization that are fleshy. Some of it is self inflicted because they don't know when to put their fork down. Others is heiratory. Others metabolic. On the maternal side of our family we come from stock that for the most part being under 300 ibs was a miracle. I have a wonderful uncle in Florida he weighs 500 pounds. My great uncles and aunts were also huge persons. My grandma was as is my aunt, and two of my sisters. One of my sisters eats herself to oblivian and she is a witness. Go figure. The Society will never disfellowship anyone for being over wieght because so many of the brothers are rotound. Just look at a summer convention and see how many have wieght problems. Even person under undue stress can become obese.

I too am heavy but I am not a glutton or pig like some persons have infered. Are you reading this Martin.??

I must admitt if WTS did disfellowship obese persons like they do for fornicators adulterers, liars , thieves etc etc. then a big precentage of witnesses wouldn't exist. They lose half their population. In fact in certain countries in Africa the more obese a persson is the more they are desired and loved. They are equated with the majesty of the elephant. So cultural and eviromment plays a part in assessing those who would be disfellowshipped for gluttony.

Persons with wieght problems are more dispossed to sickness, high blood pressure, heart problems, strokes and diabetes. As it difficult for the metabolism in some individuals

Wether a person is fat or skinny makess no difference to me because God made all things small and large in both humans and in the animal kingdom.

Love orangefatcat.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Orange,

Thanks for the insight.

I do know of a circut overseer that used to remove brother for being overwieght his name was Caramelous(?).

I think the organization as a whole wouldn't do it regularly but only if they wanted you gone they could use it if nessasarry. A possible senerio could be also: they may have wanted this guy to leave and found this way acceptable for just that one time only? Or rarely?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I figure there is a good chance some Bethelite or xBethelite might be on this forum and offer assitance if not too inconvient.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I haven't told this story publically before, but something similar nearly happened to my dad.

He was in London Bethel in the very early 60's, when they basically gave the boys a set menu and no second helpings. Apparently they were always hungry. A few of them decided to raid the pantry one night, but someone grassed on them, causing them to be made an example of by Ron Drage. My dad was kicked out of Bethel ignominiously.

Fast forward forty years to Oct 2001 - I visit Bethel for one last time before DA'ing. Who should be at the next table at dinner, one day, but Ron Drage! After the meal, as he passes, I introduce myself and he pauses a second after I submit my name. He asks if I am [my uncle]'s son... No, I am [my Father]'s.
    After another moments pause, a shimmer of horror and "Oh!", before he walks off...

The moment was delicious!
    ROFL

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

LT,

That's horrible your poor father. You know the more I'm on this board the more I can feel what other must have felt like. And the feeling was not very good,,and that's why I say this is horrible for a person to go thru and try and live down.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I saw a site with pics taken by the 'postate that the NY Bethel bigboys were tryi ng to stop entering Bethel or taking pictures.

He gave the caption "Guess who are the MS." They were soo huge it was actually sickening to look at them.

If they had married a tiny lady they would be bloodguilty once they rolled on top of her in the night.

Wish I could find those pictures.

HB

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Frankie:
    It was awful. He often made light of it, but I could tell that it had upset him. His parents never spoke of it, but it must have been a huge disappointment and "shame".

He quickly got on with life, however, moving to where "the need was great" to Pioneer, meeting my mother, and having me as the first of four children.

What I find most horrific aboutn it is the overtones of cults that starve their people to make them more submissive...
    ...it seems that Bethel was using this at that time, whether intentionally or not. It's not as if the country was still rationing after the war, or anything!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit