Were You Really That Much Harmed Because You Were A Witness?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Looking back, did your being a JW hurt you all that much????

• upside/down
    upside/down

let me count the ways....1.....2......3......4.....5......etc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The sad part is I VOLUNTEERED for all of it! Not saying much for me is it?

Never Again,

u/d

• Valis
    Valis

minimus is running out of questions.........................again..

• minimus
    minimus

Valis, see the thread NEW TACTIC USED BY SOCIETY for your enjoyment. See! No ??

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Fortunately, I didn't lose my life or any of my family members to the blood issue.

I *did* lose out on my opportunity to get a college education. I was extremely lucky to have gotten into computers as a kid, and more lucky to have had opportunities given to me despite my lack of official education. I still see levels in my career that are unattainable to me because I chose "pioneering" over getting an education.

I could go get a degree now, but that's not the point. The point is that the opportunity was there to do it 20 years ago and that opportunity was lost. My choice? Yeah, no way around that. But a heavily influenced choice.

Also, retirement savings are only just now starting up. 20 years of even meager contributions would have accumulated nicely.

Truly, I'm not bitter. It was a mistake, like so many others I've made. I lived through it. I learned from it. I teach my kids by it. Experience is experience, good and bad.

Dave

• minimus
    minimus

You're right. Experience is what we have gained---for the good and the bad!

• JH
    JH

The blessings didn't come....

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

No, not especially harmed.
    Leaving accomplished that...

• steve2
    steve2

The pain I went through is now my gain. As someone else said (not on the topic of JWs): While no one would choose to go through the pain they've experienced in their life, it would be a shame not to find meaning and purpose in it, to learn from it and grow.

Same with me: I would not want to go through my teen and young adult years again as a JW just because of the "end product" (e.g., better able to appreciate my innate strengths and abilities to look after myself).

But, that experience has made me who I am, someone who is increasingly able to fully own his past without apology or anxiety. JWs may not realise it - or even care - but (ahem!), Their unhelpful and rejecting behaviours helped make a man out of me!

They are one of the most important reasons - there are others unrelated to my JW upbringing - that have shaped my identity. While I can expres my views on specific deplorable JW behaviours and attitudes,I can thank them without being facetious or sarcastic.

• chappy
    chappy

Hmmm lets see; alcoholism, drug addiction, divorce(s), clinical depression, etc. etc. I certainly don't place blame on the WTS for all of this; I am responsible for my actions. I have no doubt however that had me and my family never been associated with the Borg that things would have been much more fulfilling and pleasant for us.

chappy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit