Are the magazines losing their appeal?

by truthseeker 16 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Do you think the mags are losing their appeal at the doors these days?

I mean, if you have the Internet and wanted to learn about a particular beetle, recipe or how to cook rice, you could look it up on the web right?

If you wanted to learn about brightly colored birds and fish, you could go to google.com

So why bother taking mags which attempt to cover one subject in 2 pages?

Many people prefer surfing the web these days (I do) then reading a magazine.

As for the Watchtower - they make nice kitty litter liners.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Are the magazines losing their appeal?

Did they ever have appeal? I mean, I can remember *thinking* they did, but I don't ever remember anyone meeting me at the door on my magazine routes and swinging the door open and saying, "Where have you been? I've been waiting for these!"

Jean

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I don't ever remember anyone meeting me at the door on my magazine routes and swinging the door open and saying, "Where have you been? I've been waiting for these!"

Good point!

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

I enjoyed the magazine sometimes..but calling them "news magazines" always made me want to hurl.

Today I was watching the 700Club while waiting at the doctor's office. It reminded me so much of a televised form of the Awake! --Quasi -news for uneducated zealots who are looking for someone to form their opinions for them

• upside/down
    upside/down

jbz- I'm with you.

Very "lite" reading at best.

u/d

• Poztate
    Poztate

The Awakes are Fluff....Why bother for most people

The Watchtowers are garbage...why bother for anyone

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

The only reason both of those magazines are still around in a developed countries is that they are a guilt inducing donation "cash cow" for the WTS. The WT could save a ton of money by just allowing them to be printed off their website on the net. The "loving brotherhood" should be more than willing to share a copy with Brother and Sister No-money-or-computer as easily as they share transportation when they go out in service. They could have a computer in the Hall, setup to only go to the WT website specifically for this purpose thereby transferring all the costs of the distribution of this "lifesaving information" to the congregations themselves, negating altogether the use of all that expensive printing equipment and overhead.

• one
    one

Using the USPS or any other carrier to mail anything that could be digitized is anachronic,.

the WT knows that, but they also know that going all net/digital is a two-edged sword

I think they do use the net just to communicate with branches around the world or branches dial in to a computer host in brooklyn for quick private file transfers which also cost less than mailing and phone calls.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

... you are assuming that they had appeal to begin with correct?

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

But where else are you going to get that education equivalent to a college degree?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit