Are the magazines losing their appeal?

by truthseeker 16 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

I don't read the mags. I haven't read the Awake in almost 3 years, I take a cursory glance at the WT and skim the cover articles & study articles for any new lite.

If I need to learn something I'll access the Internet, or purchase a book at the bookstore.

Speaking of the bookstore, since I've stopped reading the mags I've been able to expand my reading material a bit, mostly sci-fi fantasy, business/financial, and health. I'm slowly but surely trying to replace the Org's books on my bookshelf with something more meaningful. My wife who is a staunch JW has even helped clear some shelf space, I think she's just happy that I'm reading again. Now if I can only get my copy of CoC out from hiding and onto the shelf!

To answer the question, the mags have their appeal to my baby girl she likes to scribble in them.

dmp

• new light
    new light

Generally, only a JW or someone that lives in a world of worry would find the mags appealing, judging by the usual cover articles. They tend to focus on a disease, a negative human behavior, recent bad news, the supposed faults of other beliefs, etc. I usually felt bad bringing these negative ideas to people on their personal time.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered
    :Do you think the mags are losing their appeal at the doors these days?

They suck, & are worst than ever. You can't even start the woodstove with them.

Dismembered

• el jarocho mayor
    el jarocho mayor
    Those mags never had any appeal to begin with. The only one who had appeal was me, when I was a kid. As soon as I lost my cutness factor and hit puberty and had a face full of zits, no one and I mean no one would take the mags from my hands.
  • YellowLab
    YellowLab

The Watchtower/Awake method of delivery is becoming archaic. People have resorted to new, modern ways to do research on subjects, like the Internet. Back when I was a kid there was no Internet and the only way to do research was to go to the library or read a magazine. The WTS still thinks that going door-to-door and peddling magazines is the answer, but in reality it is so grossly ineffective. Many institutions and companies have embraced the Internet, but for the WTS it must be their worst nightmare, "a tool of Satan".

YellowLab

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

yellowlab said-

The Watchtower/Awake method of delivery is becoming archaic. People have resorted to new, modern ways to do research on subjects, like the Internet. Back when I was a kid there was no Internet and the only way to do research was to go to the library or read a magazine. The WTS still thinks that going door-to-door and peddling magazines is the answer, but in reality it is so grossly ineffective. Many institutions and companies have embraced the Internet, but for the WTS it must be their worst nightmare, "a tool of Satan".

This could be a great undoing for them - their fear of the truth that lies out here in cyberspace could unravel the fantasy for millions -and they damn well know it! I think they are finding themselves in a catch 22 here - they need to embrace this technology or loose the herd - but if they embrace this technology they will loose the herd. Rock and a hard spot I would say!

I have laying on my desk the first copies of the magazines I have invited into my house in about a year and a half. They are oriented toward the negative/disaster minded!!!

Watchtower Feb 1 - What is your life worth? Pictures a serious looking man with a frown in a business suit walking down a busy street. I have not opened the mag - but this would not appeal to me! First thought is 'what does this business man have to do with my view of life and it's worth'.

Awake Feb 8 - Relief from stress! Pictures a young man with his hands over his face as if worried about life somehow. Also would not appeal to me if I were looking for something to hold onto - Just seems negative.

Just my opinion

Jeff

• Mary
    Mary

The Awake magazine sometimes has interesting stuff in it - but nothing that you couldn't find out on the Internet. The Watchtower is nothing but a joke, and a bad one at that. If the Organization was really interested in "preaching in all the inhabitant earth", then why don't they simply put the magazines on the internet so that anyone from Australia to Siberia could look at the magazines any time they wanted, instead of waiting for the Witnesses to come banging on their doors Saturday morning when they're either still in bed or out at the market?

I asked an elder this question about a year ago and you'll never guess what his response was. Well, actually ya, you probably can guess what his response was. He said that the literature was "only for those seeking God's Kingdom and hungering for truth and righteousness."

Huh? Well how do you know someone isn't "hungering for righteousness if they don't get an opportunity to view the literature?"

Answer: "Jehovah will always make sure that those easily led and with no education with the right heart condition are hunted down found.

When I pressed him further, he also said that the reason they don't have the literature on the internet, is because "apostates" (dat's me 'n you) would have access to our "spiritual food" and would find a way to "twist" everything the F&DSC says.

Ya. That's what I thought the real reason was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit