Apostates...New Light

by wanderlustguy 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    Me too. Actually, I like being called an apostate now!

Right on! To me, the label "apostate" is a badge of honor, worn only by those courageous and honest enough to look reality square in the eyes and do the right thing.

SNG

• ko38
    ko38

Most all jws do not know that apostate means simply leaving or nolonger a member or supporting a religious group..SAD

• FairMind
    FairMind

Thank you Valis for the information regarding NWT renderings of scriptures to say apostate. Garybuss, you have a way with words that describes how I feel better than I could myself.

FairMind

• rebel8
    rebel8

True. I also used to think apostates were demonized. We were all taught that, but it didn't help matters that some apostates would act strange:

*One came up to me when I was in an ice cream shop, ranting and shouting like a lunatic about how bad the JWs are. I was about 12 years old and was scared. My family sat down at a table, he sat a few tables away and continued to shout the whole time. I think he got kicked out of the shop.

*Apostates who would yell and make fun of us as we were leaving the assemblies. They were really acting like lunatics, and that's what put me off (not their message). Since when does insulting someone win them over to your point of view?

*Apostates who would enter the assemblies and shout things at the speakers and try to get up on the stage. The bros would call the cops and have them removed. It caused such a commotion. I was a child and thought they were crazy. The only reaction they got was for the JWs to strengthen their faith, because they claimed Satan was working against them through the apostates.

I'm not knocking anyone who does this stuff, really. To each, his own. I can definitely understand the anger and desire to act out so strongly. I feel so strongly myself, I have to exercise a lot of restraint. Because of my experiences though, I personally don't think the strong approach is very effective. I think talking to people over the internet, putting up web sites, talking to people I meet--stuff like that is much more effective. People are more likely to listen if you speak in an organized, polite, articulate manner, and back up your accusations with facts and references. Just my humble opinion.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    the 'Great Apostate Scare of '81'

Jeff, what is that? Never heard of the Scare of '81. I was only 13 then. I have noticed there was a lot of stuff in the WTS lit about apostates in the '80s. What happened?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit