Apostates...New Light

by wanderlustguy 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Apostate -

deserter: a disloyal person who betrays or deserts his cause or religion or political party or friend etc.
    www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

not faithful to religion or party or cause
    www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

I used to think apostates were satan worshippers who decided they wanted as many people to die as they could possible get. Mental image was of a world ove Vincent Price's looking around for innocent witnesses to pounce on....

and then I received the NEW LIGHT!!! Now I see it is simply a term given to someone who has made an educated decision to not contribute to an organization they feel is less than truthful. In this groups case, it seems most have chosen to help others find answers to questions they have been unable to ask before without being judged. And for the most part I have to say everyone seems to give credit where it is due, even if (in rare instances it seems) the Society is right...can't think of any right now...but it looks good written here, doesn't it?

I like the "new understanding" much better than the old one.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    I like the "new understanding" much better than the old one.

Me too. Actually, I like being called an apostate now!

Kwin

• Valis
    Valis

Eman's link is dead, but here is some of the info he had posted and the corresponding URL.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/33274/1.ashx

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/jw/topic.html

Apostates
    An ex-JW is an apostate, and no one is more despised and feared by the GB. JWs are not allowed to speak to them under pain of disfellowshipping. Apostates will meet a horrible end at Armageddon, much worse than that reserved for regular nonJWs. To justify their hatred toward their former members, the NWT uses the word "apostate" wherever other translations have "hypocrite". Thus, they can claim that the bible says the following about exJWs:

• "Before him [Jehovah] no apostate will come in." Job 13:16
    • They have no hope; Jehovah has abandoned them, destroyed their souls, and ignores their prayers. Job 27:8-9
    • Jehovah has condemned them to live and die among the male prostitutes. Job 36:13-14
    • They mock Jehovah and grind their teeth against him. Ps.35:16
    • By their mouths they bring their others to ruin. Pr.11:9
    • Jehovah will show no mercy to apostates or to their fatherless children. Is.9:17
    • They do "what is hurtful" and "speak against Jehovah." Is.32:6
    • They are fearful sinners. Is.33:14
    • They will be put to shame for "apostatizing from" Jehovah. (KJV says "all that forsake thee shall be ashamed.") Jer.17:13
    • Are hopeless and will never repent. Heb.6:4
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Valis-

Never knew that the NWT used apostate in places that would be translated otherwise in others. Thanx for that info.

Question; Did the WTS make 'revisions' to the NWT after the deposing of Raymond Franz incident in the early 80's that included these changes? Does anyone have a c.1961 Green Bible to check these references against. I don't own one any longer. Now that would be interesting to know.

Did the 'Great Apostate Scare of '81' cause them to alter the translation - or were they always paranoid enought to know they would eventually need this twisted word translation?

Jeff

[of the 'Inquiring minds want to know' class....]

• Valis
    Valis

Ak, I suppose someone would have to look at the early editions of the NWT and later ones. I only have one, but I tgought that info might be good for this thread.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    Me too. Actually, I like being called an apostate now!

Me too!

ex-jw-be one too

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

They are also called

WHISTLE BLOWERS!

The WTS is like the Mafia trying to silence true Witnesses to their lies, but we can't be stopped!

• Honesty
    Honesty

Hopefully, more Jw's will become former JW's when they find out who the real apostates are. Then again, it may be more important to them to keep their friends and not have to face the world alone. I like it when the dubs ask "But where else can we go?" as if it is where and not to whom as the disciples asked.

Bob (of the confirmed and unrepentant WT apostate class)

• garybuss
    garybuss

Good topic! Thanks!

I know I didn't think of myself as an apostate when I was looking for answers to questions that I thought were material questions. One Witness told me once that questioning can lead to apostasy. It occurred to me that questioning could lead to finding answers too.

The Witnesses have been judgmental, labeling, and mean to me, and that's when I was still a Witness. So I guess the treatment can't get better when I leave. They do a good job of exposing themselves for what they are. It just takes a person willing to quit overlooking the evidence to see it.

I think being a Witness scarred me. I found it very difficult to find a middle ground that I could be comfortable with. It's often a challenge to trust people. When I trusted Witness people it came right back in my face. One big problem I had was being too forgiving. I was taught that by the Witnesses. That's how they got me to keep coming back for more of their abuse. They would do something terrible, like insult my suit or grooming and expect me to show up at the next meeting all smiles. Witnesses are terrible to each other.

• rwagoner

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit