How do you explain this scripture?

by Sunspot 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Thanks for your comments, Double Edge, In a New York bethel minute, A Paduan, Brummie, Deputy Dog and Honesty.

All your posts were on target! I wish though, that someone with the WTS view would speak up and explain how THEY understand it. And why.

Hopefully someone will.

Annie.......who would still like comments from anyone who'd like to add something!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

BTTT......hoping for a reply from a JW point of view

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    "38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, [ a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,

39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, (not even the Watchtower) will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. "

I mentioned this scripture to someone during my exit from the WTS and they would not talk to me about it.

• steve2
    steve2
    "38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,

39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, (not even the Watchtower) will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. "

I admire the simple, straightforward accounts others have provided of these verses. The words in red are timely reminders that humans cannot get in the way of an individual's relationship with the Creator. Boy, is that comforting.

Don't these verses remind us that, in general, the JWs are pretty naive and even "lost" when it comes to their understanding of Scriptural verses that refer to one's relationship with God?

By contrast, they're selectively well-versed on a limited range of other more "functional" verses (e.g., preaching the "good news" etc, verses that coincidentally support the magazine-distribution work). It has been well observed that, if you can get a JW away from the predictable spiel, he or she falters and is lost for words. No wonder then, that the watchtower implores the rank and file to keep away from the internet.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

** I mentioned this scripture to someone during my exit from the WTS and they would not talk to me about it.

Well, iiz2cool, with that in mind I guess I won't get a JW to answer it here either! I never had the chance to ask one (in person) because I hadn't REALLY read it in the right context AS a JW!

Don't these verses remind us that, in general, the JWs are pretty naive and even "lost" when it comes to their understanding of Scriptural verses that refer to one's relationship with God?

Yeah, Steve, I have to agree with that!

By contrast, they're selectively well-versed on a limited range of other more "functional" verses (e.g., preaching the "good news" etc, verses that coincidentally support the magazine-distribution work). It has been well observed that, if you can get a JW away from the predictable spiel, he or she falters and is lost for words. No wonder then, that the watchtower implores the rank and file to keep away from the internet.

I agree with that as well. The focus on the preaching work is at the top of the JWs list of "works", yet the human and compassioate part of Jesus' message and teachings gets tromped all over in favor of the promotion of the Organization.

My personal view----that the 'net is God's way of showing up and exposing the hypocrisy of those that claim to speak for him, and say that they are the only ones that can do so with his approval, of course!

Thanks for your input, folks!

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit